mushroom identification

Hi i have these mushrooms growing in the centre of my lawn could someone please ID them for me and are they edible ,many thanks Rick,H
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: 100_1678.JPG | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 876| +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
--
rick1955


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
rick1955 wrote:

Check here: http://academic.evergreen.edu/projects/mushrooms/phm/index.htm
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Brooklyn1 wrote:

Even if you think you have identified it be cautious, positive ID can be hard and there are some quite poisonous types that look much like edible ones. If you really want to eat them start with a small bit and work up to a plate full. Common symptoms of the inedible kind are burning mouth, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. We harvest field mushrooms but nothing goes into the pan unless two people are both sure it is correct. I don't know the one in the pic but it isn't the common field mushroom found here.
D
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 08:41:28 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"

This all very good information. When in doubt eat none. Some wild mushrooms are extremely toxic and everyone has a different constitution, what will make your friend ill can kill you dead. Unless you know for certain don't eat any. Check the web site I posted, and you can send in your photo for an opinion, I've already done that and was told not to eat what was growing on my property. I have giant puffballs that grow here each year, I've been told they are edible but haven't been told how much, so I don't eat any, I only take photos of puffballs the size of a five gallon pail. I used to belong to a mycological club affiliated with the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens. We went on gathering field trips often, but many members became very ill eating their finds. And often the neurological effect is permanent. When in doubt do not partake.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 16/10/2013 22:41, David Hare-Scott wrote:

That is very bad advice - "quite poisonous types" is a dangerous understatement. If you followed your advice to eat a small piece and work up to a plateful, and happened to eat the most poisonous fungus we have here in the UK - Amanita phalloides (Death Cap) - you would likely die without medical help, and probably need a liver transplant if you survived the acute poisoning. One Death Cap will destroy the liver. Symptoms of liver damage will not show for around 24 - 48 hours after ingestion,and by then it's too late. It does happen - although rarely, thank goodness..
The /only/ answer with anyone who asks "can I eat this?" is "No". Then add the caveat to find an expert who can positively identify the "mushroom". But as it is sometimes the "experts" who get it wrong, and suffer for it, I'm not sure even that is safe advice. If the fungus is very distinctive, like a morel, fine, but if it looks like a common mushroom, I'd err on the side of caution.
--

Jeff

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
rick1955;993764 Wrote: > Hi i have these mushrooms growing in the centre of my lawn could someone > please ID them for me and are they edible ,many thanks Rick,H
This is not a fungus I would even bother trying to identify exactly and work out if it was poisonous or not, because its general appearance is not consistent with any of the fungi that are noted to be tasty and worth eating. It is "the usual rubbish". It is also in that area where there are loads of things of somewhat similar appearance. So unless you are starving and need to find a source of food to avoid risk of famine, I really wouldn't bother.
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
--
echinosum


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.