mushroom compost

Dear Readers, This spring we planted several roses and they turned out beautifully with many blooms. Now we have to worry about the winter. Is it safe to use mushroom compost to winter protect roses here in zone 5? a person told me that the compost is high in salt?? Thanks for listening anton
I wouldn't use mushroom compost as an overwintering insulator for roses. My personal preference is pine needles, heaped to above the graft point.
Dave

many
5?
I use leaves to winter my roses and hydrangea. When I used to live in Cleveland, Ohio, I piled leaves onto the rose bushes, then topped it with a 1" layer of soil to keep the leaves from blowing away. By spring much of the leaves will have rotted--I guess the rotting produces some heat. I use pine needles (since I have plenty) for the azaleas. Mushroom compost is too rich (and wet) for a protective winter mulch.
On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 11:10:45 GMT, "David J Bockman"