Murray Self-propelled mower any good?

I need a new lawn mower and decided to get a self-propelled model as I have a rather hilly yard and I'm not getting any younger. After looking at dozens of mowers, I have found one that looks like it would meet my needs. It is on sale for what looks like a good price - $229.00 (was $290). The problem is that I have never owned a Murray lawn mower, nor have I owned a self-propelled model. The one I am looking at is a 7 HP, 22 inch, 3-in-1 model with high rear wheels. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton. Is this brand any good? It appears to be a discontinued model because the Murray website doesn't show a 7 HP self-propelled model. I can get other SP mowers for around the same price, but they have smaller engines. I would rather have a variable speed SP mower, but the prices for those is much higher.
We got a Snapper and I wouldn't have anything else. It was 600.00, I know twice what you're considering paying. But it is virtually a lifetime lawnmower. The other brands don't last too long. Perry

have
this
mowers

Murray is crap. That is why it is cheap.
JMHO
John

have
needs.
this
mowers
Makes sense. Thanks

Murray is at the bottom of the list in overall scoring, but still it is a good mower and repair record is decent. A B&S 7 HP engine will deliver about the same torque as a 5 HP Honda engine, but the B&S is noisier. Toro mowers are better built with a Tecumseh engine, but you'll need at least a hundred more bucks. Expect any mower to last 5 to 8 years, depending on use.

have
needs.
this
mowers
I am on year 8 of my cheap MTD/Briggs and Stratton mower. I had to put some money into it last year and now the problem looks like it is returning along with some rust and other issues. I might keep this one as a back-up and to mow along the margin of the woods occasionally to keep the brush down but I know it is time for a new mower.
"Vox Humana" wrote in message

have
this
mowers
You get what you pay for.
I had a John Deere for trimming, sold it to someone I know almost 20 years ago. They still have it, and it still runs strong. Since then I've been through a Wards(RIP) high wheel, a Murray, & a Honda Harmony. I purchased another John Deere, model JS63C about 3 years ago. I sold my rider and cut 1/2 acre with a 21", simply for the excercise. I believe if you looked at any of the name brands known for yard work, you couldn't go wrong. I was not pleased with the Honda,Murray, or Wards.

needs.
The
3-in-1
Murray
rather
purchased
Was there a problem common to all the less expensive brands or did they each have their own unique problems?

owned
higher.
years
been
cut
at
was
each
the best out there if you want to spend $600. Murray is very low in price. I bought a self-propelled White lawn mower for $429 six years ago and stll runs great and cuts great. I always try to go to the mid priced thing that i buy and been always happy. Good luck in what you buy.
Shreve wrote:

At a half acre, consider a push reel mower, as long as you cut often enough to keep the grass short. They're lighter than a power mower and _as easy to push_. You don't have the noise. The American Lawnmower Company 18" is fine; Scotts 20" (made by same people) is faster, if you get one with a straight cutter bar anyway.
However you need access to a power mower if you get into grass-too-long trouble from time to time. Also they don't do dandelions unless short.
If you have to mow because of patches of fast-growing grass where the rest of the lawn doesn't need it, a European scythe ( http://www.scythesupply.com ) is pleasant to use, though everything you need will run $160 after snath, jig and sharpening stone. You can cut an acre with it over a period of days, if you want to just get out of the house occasionally. It leaves trails of cut grass though. A perfect solution would be a mulching scythe.
--
Ron Hardin
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com
:) I need a new lawn mower and decided to get a self-propelled model as I have :) a rather hilly yard and I'm not getting any younger. After looking at :) dozens of mowers, I have found one that looks like it would meet my needs. :) It is on sale for what looks like a good price - $229.00 (was $290). The :) problem is that I have never owned a Murray lawn mower, nor have I owned a :) self-propelled model. The one I am looking at is a 7 HP, 22 inch, 3-in-1 :) model with high rear wheels. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton. Is this :) brand any good? It appears to be a discontinued model because the Murray :) website doesn't show a 7 HP self-propelled model. I can get other SP mowers :) for around the same price, but they have smaller engines. I would rather :) have a variable speed SP mower, but the prices for those is much higher. :)
I recently gave my 2 year old SP Murray away and picked up a Torro variable speed SP. The price wasn't all that much higher. The problem you will have with the Murray is that it will be more of a workout trying to walk slow enough to mow the grass. The variable speed allows you to work at your pace rather than the slow setting of the Murray.
Lar
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.