Mums in NJ - will they come back?

I just planted some mums a few weeks back in New Jersey, and the guy at the store told me to trim them in the spring through till early summer, and they should come back. Everyone else I've spoken to pulls them out in March/April because they never grow back. Anyone have any more info?? thanks CAtherine
Add pictures here
βœ–

--B_3149417184_4667635 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit
On 10/19/03 1:56 PM, in article CfAkb.3257$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny02.gnilink.net,

I have had mixed luck with fall planted mums ­ some do return, others donΉt. By April, you should be able tell if the plant over wintered. My success rate is about 40% here in NH. Cheryl
--B_3149417184_4667635 Content-type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding
<HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Re: Mums in NJ - will they come back?</TITLE></HEAD> <BODY>
<BR> </SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><SPAN STYLE='font-size:14.0px'><FONT FACE="Arial"=

thanks<BR> CAtherine<BR> </FONT><FONT FACE="Verdana"><BR> </FONT></SPAN></BLOCKQUOTE><SPAN STYLE='font-size:14.0px'><FONT FACE="Verdana"><BR> I have had mixed luck with fall planted mums &#8211; some do return, others don&#8217;t. &nbsp;By April, you should be able tell if the plant over wintered. My success rate is about 40% here in NH.<BR> Cheryl</FONT></SPAN> </BODY> </HTML>
--B_3149417184_4667635--
Add pictures here
βœ–

The mum that I planted in front yard has come back fine. I also see that mum in my neighbors' yards also come back for the years that I have lived in this are (northern New Jersey).

I believe the idea is to prevent it to become too leggy. Otherwise, the top half loaded with flowers with become too heavy and will fall to the floor. I start trimming mine this year, and it surely looks bushy than what it was last year.
Hope yours will do OK.
Jay Chan
Add pictures here
βœ–
You should have torn the roots apart at the bottom when you plant them in the ground and watered them in well, but since it's too late for that now, just before the ground freezes later this fall, cover the plants with a layer of leaves or pine needles (6" - 8") and anchor the leaves or needles in place with chicken wire or something similar that will keep them from blowing away. The extra cover should help them survive.
John
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I just planted some mums a few weeks back in New Jersey, and the guy at the store told me to trim them in the spring through till early summer, and they should come back. Everyone else I've spoken to pulls them out in March/April because they never grow back. Anyone have any more info??</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>thanks</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>CAtherine</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Add pictures here
βœ–

I have had Mums for 13yrs. at my present home. If you want them to spread, you trim them back on April 1st, May 1st, and if there are no flower buds present, on June 1st. also. I have many different colors and styles of Mums and without much care they come back every year. Most of them are covered in a bank of snow in the winter. Good Luck, Sue in Mi. (Zone 5)
Add pictures here
βœ–
I live in new jersey and they are fine. I think the key is a good amount of mulch to keep thing moist, don't think it is so much warmth. Really, think about it, is two or three inches of leaves going to keep the ground any warmer when it is 20 degrees.
My question is for the email below. I made the mistake of not cutting back the mums in the spring. Some people say if you don't you get no flowers but I think it is really to keep them nice and tight without falling over. I didn't trim mine back and there way too large falling over.
I thought that you cut them to the ground in April. then half what ever size they are on July 4th. Buds or no buds.

Add pictures here
βœ–
I like mums to be a little leggy - you can cut them for the house then! and they look a little wilder too which fits in my style of gardening!
Cheryl On 10/21/03 2:53 PM, in article

Add pictures here
βœ–

I was told by a couple friends of mine that used to be the main buyers for the Frank's Nursery, to trim them if you want them to spread. BTW, my friends are both originally from N.J. They didn't say to cut them back to the ground. I just trim them back about 2-3"each time. I've stopped trimmimg my older Mums because they have spread enough. I've added 3 more Mum plants this year and will trim only the newly added ones next year. Sue in Mi. (Zone 5)
Add pictures here
βœ–
Mommy Bartlo says it's always good to put things into the ground.
I'd like to put my boy JoJo into the ground, here he is
http://www.enter.net/~jbartlo/joseph.htm
xoxoxo --MommyBartlo--

Add pictures here
βœ–

established if you want them to return the following year. Late planted ones are prone to winterkill. It's late in CT
Add pictures here
βœ–