mums

I seem to be having a problem with my mums. They flowered beautifully last year. This year they came up and something seems to be eating them because I now have no leaves, therefore no plants. I can find no evidence of a creature. I thought maybe slugs but have not had a great problem with them this year. Can anyone help? I already lost three and one more shows evidence of becoming someones lunch. zone 5b
--
Dana
www3.sympatico.ca/lostmermaid