mulching with pine needles?

I live in zone 5 and was wondering if mulching beds this time of year with the long pine needles that fall from my trees is beneficial, or if it adds too much acidity to the soil. The ground where my perennial beds are is well shaded and fairly damp. Thanks for the help!

Pine needles are harvested and sold for exactly that purpose, there should be no problem.
Good question.
As far as the pH goes it depends on the species of plants you have. They would be great for a pin oak.
Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html and http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/ Look up "Mulch"
- - Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Consulting Arborist http://home.ccil.org/~treeman and www.treedictionary.com Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Thanks John A. Kelsick for not even a thank you to acknowledge the photo's I went out and took specifically for you, to prove I know how to prune a tree. I figured you were not sincere.
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:24:31 -0400, "symplastless"

I had read, years ago in a Master Gardener news letter (zone 8) that mulching strawberries with pine needles intensified the flavor. I'd head to the end of the block every year with my wheelbarrow and collect a big batch from the one tree around to run through my chipper/shredder and mulched my everbearing strawberry bed every fall. The first year I tried this I didn't shred them up and they really didn't break down all that well. I honestly think it did make a difference. I had the best strawberries in the neighborhood. By the second summer they had developed a flavor almost like the little wild strawberries. Just cutting them up in the kitchen would fill the air with the aroma of strawberries. Wonderful!
Val