Mulching Trees

Is it best to mulch trees with the material in a mound that slopes downward or to make it ina a saucer shape. I've seen both and wonder if it depends on whether the tree is newly planted or for some other reason. P.S. If possible, please reply by E-mail. Thanks, Harry

Reply to
HarryD7521

My neighbor "Volcano Mulched" the (cringe) Bradford Pears on his side of the driveway I share with him. In a recent storm, one of the trees broke off right at ground level, instead of higher up where the tree's branches divide. I attribute it to excess moisture trapped in the volcano's peak.

Reply to
David Modine

When I plant a tree, I dig a hole three times the size of the root ball. I plant it a few inches more shallow than it was in the container. I put down a layer of compost about one or two inches, then mulch. I never touch the trunk with mulch, I don't dig trenches, or dishes, or have anything sloped. The mulch is above the ground however deep I make it. In a years time the tree is down in the hole...after the rains settle it in.

So, to answer your question, see above!

animaux

Based on my experience, this is a good idea for most woody plants. Keeps the plant from getting too deep (and the roots deprived of oxygen).

Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Reply to
Mike Prager