Mulch over needles?

The street where I have lived for [censored] years is afflicted with horrible trees;
http://www.ehow.com/facts_7497036_casuarina-trees.html
If it isn't the effing needles, it's the effing sharp seeds or the effing sap on parked cars.
The City won't take out "healthy" trees. Whoever was the "forester" that put them in, could be 100 years? (I wasn't there <g>) didn't know much about species.
(Ex: He put in a variety of Ficus that has GIANT above-ground roots that wreck sidewalks and trip people.
ID'd as Indian Laurel Fig, Ficus nitida Scientific Name: Ficus retusa ssp. nitida (Th.) Miq. Synonym: Ficus microcarpa var. nitida)
Back to subject: Those effing needles obscure plantings and clutter up my arrangements. They do not compost well, or at all, so I gave up and just rake them out and put in yard waste bin..
This is a huge PITA, so I wonder if I can just apply small nugget mulch right on top of needles. Would presence of needles under mulch interfere with function of mulch: to help conserve water in our drought, as well as aesthetics.
Tree supposedly originated in OZ. Hope somebody has an educated opinion on whether it's safe to mulch over needles.
TIA
HB
Hypatia Nachshon wrote: ...

mulch will break down less if it is kept dry, the needles under the nuggets will rot before the nuggets. so ... seems ok to me.
is fire a hazard? might not be a good idea to build up a pile of burnables too close to valuable structures or plants...
songbird
On Saturday, October 25, 2014 6:10:06 PM UTC-7, songbird wrote:

Thanks, Songie - not sure I got it. My q. was an attempt to avoid the noxious job of always clearing out needles before mulching, but putting mulch on top of needles. Any downside?
Appreciate caution re: fire hazard. No valuable plants/structures would be close.
HB
Bob F wrote:

*grins* certainly well fitted to the cause of generating yet another LPU (least publishable unit).
songbird
Hypatia Nachshon wrote: ...

no, mulch is mulch. mice might like it, nice shingled roof and soft needles to nest in. :)

songbird
songbird wrote:

Not always. Some plants exhibit allelopathy. Casuarina is a suspect. Have you ever noticed that left alone almost nothing grows under a grove of them?
--
David

David Hare-Scott wrote:

yes, but in this particular case we've already established that there are no valuable plants near these trees/needles.
songbird
On Friday, October 31, 2014 5:51:39 PM UTC-7, songbird wrote:

Fortunately (peaked tile) roof nowhere near needles.
HP