Mulch?

Is there any kind of wood mulch I can use for flower beds along side of my house,last year I used some mulch that gave me black tiny spots on my white vinyl siding(artillery fungus),I dont want to make the same mistake again> Thanks
It all depends on lots of factors, like weather, and how much sun or shade you've got in a particular spot, but I've used shredded cedar mulch for years without seeing fungus. Another option is grass clippings collected with a bag attachment on your mower, if it's got that option. Put down an inch or two of grass, not in thick clumps, but sprinkled loosely. It'll turn brown pretty quickly and blend right in. Keep it away from tiny seedlings, if you're sprouting any seeds.

Grass clippings should not be used if you applied any broadleaf weed killers.
Doug Kanter wrote:

Right. But, nobody should be using those anyway.

Using what, grass clippings? Other than not being very attractive in a flower garden, there's nothing wrong with using them, I use them all the time in my veggie garden.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

I was referring to herbicides. I'm the one who suggested grass clippings, silly. :-)

Sorry, I'm reading too fast and not noticing the attributions. Of course you suggested them! And yes, no one shouldbe using herbicides on their lawn.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

white
Maybe there was no cause and effect relationship between the spots and mulch. I get mildew spots on my sidings and also some green algae. Last year was worse than usual. Perhaps it was the weather and not the mulch.