Mulberry Tree

Daughter-in-law bought one with a 3' ball + or -. Son has to dig the hole, how much bigger than the root ball should it be? Is there any particular fertilizer that should be used at that time?
Audrey
On 20 Jun 2006 06:49:52 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@eastlink.ca wrote:

Twice the size. In many parts of the US this is a bad time to plant a tree. Wait until winter and wet ground to use any fertilizer. There is a product called "Upstart" that can be used at transplant time to reduce shock (it smells like liquid vitamins).

More specifically, twice (or three times) as wide, but no deeper. The trunk flares at the base of the tree should be exposed to open air. Planting a little shallow is better than a little deep.
http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/tree_planting.aspx
Good luck, Keith Babberney ISA Certified Arborist #TX_0236AT
Hope no one nearby has a white car or cement sidewalks. My Mother has a mulberry and the birds love it but purple poop gets everywhere. Elaine

Elaine wrote:

Only a problem if the tree is female. Male mulberry trees don't get fruit.
I have about 300 of them on my property.