Muget des bois...

...aka Lily of the Valley.
May 1 always takes me back to Paris. The below article tells about the lovely custom of giving Muget des bois to your friends/colleagues/etc. Even my bitchy Left Bank student lodging landlady brought me a little bouquet on May 1.
In Europe it was a workers' holiday, but noooooo, we couldn't have such a Commie pinko event in OUR perfectly egalitarian society, so it was renamed "Law Day."
Here's article:
"France Ushers in Spring with Muget des bois"