Mowers

I'm looking at getting a zero-radius or large walk-behind mower to mow my 2+ acres. I have a regular riding mower but it is uncomfortable to use; makes my back ache. Does anyone have any advice on either of these 2 types of mowers, or any advice on alternatives?
Norm Texas

Go to www.consumerreports.com. For less than ten bucks, you can buy a month's worth of online access. Their mower articles have contained some good thoughts for mower shopping. Your library might also have the back issues.
Thanks Doug. I have a CR sub but don't remember them discussing the walkbehinds. Maybe I missed it. I'll check.

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 04:18:24 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Good day Norm. All in all, a zero radius mower and a mid/large walk behind are really the same machine (generaly). The decks, wheels, motors...ect are all the same but the lay out is different.
The Z's are going to be a lot like the tractor that you already have, but the ride maybe more comfortable. The walk-behind mowers are great for lawns that have grades or numerous obstacales to navigate around. I'm able to mow steep grades with my 37" walk-behind that would flip the average Z.
walk -behind Pro: A versatile mower that will go just about anywhere. Will pivot just like the zero-radius mowers. You can get a sulky attachment so you don't have to walk.
Con: Not as fast as a rider zero-radius mower. The sulky attachment let you ride, but you must stand while operating the machine. Not very comfortable on the knees/legs if the lawn is lumpy.
Good luck.
--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://ywgc.com/resources.html