mower starter problem

I bought my first push mower a couple of weeks ago. It's a Murray mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine. It worked fine when I first got it home, but when I tried to use it today, I discovered that the starter cord is stuck. It pulls out 2 or 3 inches and then sticks. Some wiggling will get it out a few inches more, but when I let it slide back in and try and pull it again, it again only will come out 2 or 3 inches. So, I cannot start my mower. Any ideas? I'm new to the world of mowers, so don't have much of a clue and would prefer not to have to open it up, but I don't see any other alternative at this point. Thanks
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 18:56:38 -0700, Dave wrote:

Take the cover off ( 3 or 4 hex nuts ) and check how the cord is wrapped, it sounds jammed.
Did you buy it new? If so, it should have a warranty that would last at least a few weeks. Take it back, get a new one.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dave) wrote in message

Take it back where you bought it and tell them to fix it or give you a new one. While it's not that hard for a DIY'er to fix, you shouldn't have to fix anything under warranty.
Bob S.