Mower stalls on blade engage

I just bought a relatively new (1 or 2 years old) Honda HRA-214 lawnmower, used. It starts on the first pull, no problem, but when I push down the lever that engages the blade, it stalls out. Any advice on what may be happening here would be greatly appreciated. Gas is fine, oil seems fine, bag is empty and the spark plug is pretty much brand new.