moving/transporting house plants

I apologize if this is not the group to ask this question. If there's a better group, please let me know.
I'll be moving from Nebraska to California (3 days and nights on the road) temporarily (9 months), and would like to take my house plants with me, but not sure this is feasible with such a long trip.
I'm driving a minivan and pulling a small cargo trailer, and will be traveling with 4 dogs and 2 cats, my computer and my clothes, and hopefully my "indoor garden".
It's hard enough that I have to leave my "outdoor garden", with strawberries, tomatoes, numerous annuals and perennials, so I'm hoping I can somehow manage the indoor plants for the move.
Has anyone had any success at moving houseplants a long distance? If so, how did you do it?
I have approximately 20 plants and their pots. The pots range in sizes of 4 inches, up to 12 inches. Only 2 of the big pots, and the plants in them are no taller than 3 ft.
Any advice/recommendations are appreciated.
Thank you, Brigitte
I do not know how TO do it, but I do know a few DON'Ts...
The plants will not survive in the trailer unless the trailer is air conditioned or open to air movement - when live plants are transported by road, they are either on flatbeds or in reefers (trucker talk for "refridgerated unit") The heat from the sun beating down on an enclosed space will heat them untill they are almost cooked.
Provide the cats with their own litter setup that they have previously identified as the proper place to go, otherwise your plants will become fair game...
I suggest a little research to make sure the plants are not toxic to either cats or dogs... they will be stressed by being cooped up, and will want something to bat at or chew.... there are enough houseplants that are bad for kitties and puppies that this will be a consideration...
Another concern that has nothing to do with the plants... you may want to consider a kitty carrier - cats are more territorial than not, and if you have them loose in the vehicle, there is a rather high likelihood that they will try to (and succeed in) escape when you open the door, in an attempt to get back to known territory... I learned this the hard way
good luck moving
Tony snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Yes- please crate the animals. A loose cat/dog underfoot is the last thing you need while driving, and a crate precludes any opportunities for escape even in the case of an accident. It is the only way to ensure their safety- I could tell you story after story where a crate saved an animals life on a cross country trip. If there is not room- make room. It is that important. The thought of six animals loose in a car for that distance is frightening.
The plants will be fine. I moved a U-Haul full of 'em from Kentucky to Florida over several days and they didn't even blink.
--
Toni
South Florida USA
wrote in message >

Thanks for the advice. I've traveled with the animals many times and wouldn't consider transporting them without crates. I plan to put the 2 cats in the largest crate I have, which is 48 inches long. I'll put a small litter tray in there with them. And the dogs will be behind the seats, where I have put one of those pet guard things. It's like a fence that goes from the floor to the ceiling, and all the way across. That will give the dogs plenty of room to move around.
I think I'll put my clothes, computer and plants in my Saturn, and just tow it behind my van. It's small enough and lite enough that I can easily tow it, and my plants will get the light and air they need.
Brigitte wrote:

Just warning you that what is *just* a little car being towed, can easily cause a deadly situation in an emergency stop.
Please check your minivan's towing capacity, and if it is up to specs, please go slow. If it's not, don't use it to tow the car. I've seen people die from what seems like an easy task.
Tony

Yes, I've towed the car, as well as other vehicles and trailers many times. Any fast moving vehicle can be put in deadly situations when the operator doesn't know what they're doing.

I wouldn't pull a vehicle with a vehicle not up to the task.
Thanks, Brigitte

You need to check with California about which plants they will allow to come in. They will make you dispose of any they don't allow at the Ag station.
Make sure that your pets have have the required immunizations and health papers. They will be checked. Ferrets are illegal and won't be permitted.

They need to be in a well vented trailer covered with a damp sheet (water well daily), or in the air conditioned van.
On Wed, 04 May 2005 15:25:25 +0000, Brigitte wrote:

They really do stop you at the border and make you surrender your plants if they show any signs of stress, which they will if you have them cooped up:
http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/pe/faq_hse_plnts.htm

The website says that they will confiscate them if they appear diseased. I think "stressed" would be expected, after such a long trip.
Thanks, Brigitte

IT might be different for non-truck people, but the point is that they are EXTREMELY paranoid about such things... and it would depend on the knowledge (not likely in that area) and personal mood of individual who checks your stuff out... do what you can to keep them as fresh looking as you can
Did they make it past the inspection gate ok?

I'll let you know! I'm leaving Wednesday, and hope to arrive at my destination by Saturday or Sunday.
With all the plants and animals on this trip, I'm not sure what to expect along the way.
Brigitte

At the last minute I decided not to bring my plants. After loading them all in my tow vehicle, it turned out they caused me to be overweight for the axles on the vehicle.
A friend of mine will be watering them (hopefully) on a regular basis. She's been known to murder plants in the past, but maybe she's rehabilitated.
I'll be back home in August for one month, and my load won't be so heavy. If they survive until August, I'll bring them back to California with me, where I'll be staying for the following nine months.
Brigitte
BTW, there was no sort of inspection along the way. There were signs for commercial growers to stop and be inspected, but nothing for people like myself.
Brigitte