Moving daffodils

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

I live in London UK and have just got a new house. Where I want to pu

a pond there are loads of daffodils emerging. Can these be move safely ? If so how

-- davholla

Reply to
davholla

With a shovel, if your soil is easy to work. Get at least 3-4 inches under them, lift, and move. If you MUST do it now, while they're just emerging, accept the fact that some might not survive. Otherwise, wait until blooming is over and the foliage has begun to die down. I say "begun" because once the foliage is gone, it'll obviously be more difficult to spot all of them.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It can be done, but not recommended if you want them to bloom this and next year. If planted right, they are at least six inches deep. If you can get that whole clump, have the new holes dug and slip them right into the new holes, water them, they may be just fine.

Worst case scenario is you won't get a bloom this year and probably not next year.

The good news is daffodils are cheap and you can always buy more.

Reply to
Jangchub

Most of our daffodills are family heirlooms, simple and hardy. Here if they get buried 4 inches they are lucky. Of course some of the double types and different colors are about. It is nice that squirrels and other critters can't eat em.

I dig em, shake em, split em and let them air dry sometimes. Then plant and give em away.

Bill

PS never gave them plant food either.

Reply to
William Wagner

I moved ALL my clumps of daffodils in spring after I moved to Eastern Tennessee the previous late summer. Dig them in clumps with the soil attached, like clods. Plant them in holes the same depth and they'll never know they were moved. If you loosen the soil and expose the bulbs, they won't bloom this year but will next. I moved ALL of my several hundreds of bulbs in clumps and they kept growing and bloomed with NO problems. The advice given is the best except they WILL bloom if you dig deeply enough. Eight inches down or spade depth is best. Try not to dislodge the soil and have your holes ready. madgardener who has done this before many, many times, even moving clumps from Mary Emma's that she didn't want and they were bud tight and they STILL bloomed because I dug a clump instead of exposing the bulbs!

Reply to
madgardener