Moving a tree peony

Due to some upcoming spring construction, I am going to need to move a tree peony in my yard. I'm sure its not the ideal time, but just found out it needed to get moved (I can't measure worth a darn obviously and I had thought it was safe where it was - I was wrong). Would it be better to move it in very early spring (before or as it starts to bud out), or wait until after flowering (late spring) - I can probably put off the construction until then, but no later.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

From my hazy memory, I think waiting for it to finish blooming means that it would be very late spring. I would move it in the early spring before it buds. Other opinions welcomed.

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Like herbaceous peonies, tree peonies would prefer to be moved in the fall. If that is not an option, I would move it as soon as your ground is workable in early spring. Keep in mind freshly transplanted peonies have a tendency to sulk for a while and you may not see a bloom this year. Tree peonies also have a significant root system - be sure to take a generous root ball.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Fall moving is not an option. Like I said, I cannot measure, and the cement I though would be at least 18 inches to the west of the peony is now extending over and 12 inches to the east of it. If I wait until fall, I'll need a jackhammer to move it.

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in news:X0JHb.687396$Fm2.593785@attbi_s04:

Reply to
Richard

Tree peonies produce feeder roots during the fall. These roots are very fragile and moving the plant generally damages most of them. Fall transplantation allows the plant to grow some new feeder roots in its new location. With that in mind I would suggest moving the plant as soon as you can, now if possible. The sooner you move it the more time it will have to produce some new feeder roots before it needs them for active spring and summer growth.

--beeky

Richard wrote:

Reply to
beeky