Moving a Red Robin

My brother has dug up a Red Robin today

The shrub is about 6 ft high by 6 ft wide. He is transplanting it, it has lost some large roots but has retained quite a few small roots. I told him to reduce the shrub which has 6 large stems to 4 stems and the rest of the plant by around 25%. I know it's best to prune Red Robins in late Spring, but, do you think this information will work ?

Location: Northern Ireland, todays temp 10 C

Reply to
Ernie M

I assume you mean Photinia x fraseri 'Red Robin'.

The practice of pruning or cutting back a shrub or tree at the time of transplant has been found to be counterproductive to re-establishment. Especially with a broadleaved evergreen shrub like the photinia. Auxins and other growth hormones located in terminal buds are responsible for triggering new root growth, so removing them by a hard pruning actually works to retard root development and impedes the plant's ability to re-establish itself. And sugars and other photosynthetic byproducts stored in the foliage provides the energy necessary for root growth. UNpruned transplanted trees and shrubs will re-establish faster than those that have been pruned or drastically cut back.

Wait to do any pruning until spring when you start to see new growth forming, if any needs to be done at all. Personally, I'd just leave the plant alone, or simply remove any damaged or obviously dead stems/ wood.

Reply to
gardengal

Sorry and yes, it is a Photinia x fraseri Red Robin

I didn't know that about transplanting gardengal...

The shrub was to be dumped by a neighbor and my brother wanted to keep it,

it has been moved so fingers crossed...

Thank you very much indeed for your explanation :)

Reply to
Ernie M