movie goof

I just saw the great new movie "Cold Mountain." There is a scene of an Easter picnic and on the table is a big bouquet of pink and white COSMOS! Any gardener knows they don't bloom until late summer, even in North Carolina (I'm sure?). Also the tree above looks kind-of too leafed out for Easter. (It didn't ruin the fantastic movie for me though :)

Maddy, I love your posts always!!!

Roberta

Reply to
Roberta L. Mueller

Delurking, since your post triggered a thought I had while watching the movie...the battle scene in the movie starts out with shots of rabbits going in and out of a warren. I was under the impression that the only species of rabbit we have in North America that burrows in the pygmy cottontail out in the Pacific Northwest. Am I mistaken, or was this a goof, too?

-Shelly

Reply to
Shelly

I have a guy who keeps rabbits on my farm (New England). The ones that burrow out create burrows around (not in) the fields. They are mixed varieties, but definitely not pygmies.

Reply to
Dwight Sipler

Hadn't thought of that...I suppose they could have been a domesticated European rabbit that someone released... I was focused on wild, native rabbits, I guess.

Thanks!

Reply to
Shelly

The Great Outdoors is about some Chicagoans vacationing in northern Wisconsin. The scenery, the lakes, hills and forest, is anything but Wisconsin. Looks more like the west.

Starman featured a spacecraft plunging into Chequamegon Bay. The cast's pronunciation was more Hollywood than the way it's pronounced here.

Looks like movies take license with everything.

Reply to
WiGard

Considering that they shot the film in Romania, did you expect that they'd worry about a few flowers and leaves?

Reply to
John McGaw

Reply to
madgardener

In The Deer Hunter, all the hunting scenes took place in rural Pennsylvania. Take one glance at the environment and it's clear that it's somewhere on the Olympic Peninsula.

Roy - Carpe Noctem

Reply to
Roy

Shelly from A Field Guide to the Mammals by Burt & Grossenheider

Eastern Cottontail: spends day in partially concealed form, burrow in ground.. Eastern US to Montana, Wyo, E. Colo. Southern NM &Az Mountain Cottontail: similar to E. Cottontail, Mountain states, Great Basin Desert Cottontail: seeks safety in thickets or burrows So Mont, Wyo, Colo, W. Tex, Az, NM, So & central valley CA Pygmy Rabbit: Digs simple burrows, generally 2 or more entrances N Nev, S. Ida, E Ore, NE Ca Hope this helps Emilie

Reply to
MLEBLANCA

A result of filming in Europe, and not caring about the difference in flora and fauna. 'Rabbits is rabbits' to most people. While eastern cottontails may dig shallow scrapes, they in no way can compare to the warrens of European rabbits. A daytime layup may be barely more than a shallow depression, and a nest is a small bowl, hardly a burrow -- barely holds the litter.

I catch a lot of errors of this sort in films. Even films made in the appropriate locations may have 'natural' sounds added in later in the studio, and the most popular source of bird noises seems to be possibly a 'birds of Canada' tape. You can hear loons and wood thrushes singing in the most amazing locales!

One film that gardeners in particular might notice was 'off' in terms of vegetation was the Daniel Day Lewis version of The Last of the Mohicans. The lavish wild rhododendrons were huge clues that they certainly weren't filming in upstate New York but rather in the North Carolina. (No way I'd mistake the Blue Ridge mountains for the Catskills or Adirondacks!)

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

The message from snipped-for-privacy@someplace.net.net (Pat Kiewicz) contains these words:

Yes, even in the UK, those rhodies stuck out like a sore thumb.

In 101 Dalmations, set in England, Brits were equally amazed to see American skunks and raccoons :~}

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough ..

and yet ANOTHER gardener from Eastern Tennessee, almost in me front yard ! There's even a possibility that Tom here has run into me in Disc Exchange on Chapman Highway............. madgardener

Reply to
madgardener

That's what I thought, Pat! So I have remembered something from my rabbit project back when I was in 4-H. ;) I believe they filmed the movie in Romania, which would explain the goof.

-Michelle

Reply to
Shelly

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Well, Easter is a movable feast. The dates for 1860 through 1865 run from late March to mid-late April. I don't know what year the movie is supposed to be set in. Last frost date varies considerably in NC, from late Feb in the coastal lowlands to June in the mountains. Don't know where the movie/book was set, either. Cosmos are quick-growing and here in zone 7b-8, we can easily have 2 crops of plants and flowers in a single growing season. That is, seeds from the first flowers can be used to grow (and see flower) a 2nd crop. Depending on when and where 'Cold Mountain' is, it *is* conceivable they could have had Cosmos for Easter. 'Though not likely. :-)

Reply to
Frogleg