Mountain Laurel buds

Noticed on my Mountain Laurel shrubs this Spring that some are growing single leaf blades adjacent to mature leaves while others are growing what appear to be leaf buds (I'd assume their not flower buds since flowering occurs in mid to late Summer). Why are there 2 different ways of leaf production?
thanks
Marc
Noticed that on some mature plants leaves are beginning as singular blades, adjacent to mature ones. On some other Laurels stalks, which I presume are leaf buds, are instead forming (they began late last Summer, probably because of late fertilization). I don't think they are flower buds..Why are 2 different methods of leaf formation occurring, if in fact thats the case?
Mitch