Most hearty indoor tree

I live in southern california - sunny and not too much humidity. I have a spot in the corner of my bedroom which has a large window to the west and one to the north. I had a dracaena there which was doing super well until it recently took a dive and dried up for no apparent reason! Anyway, I'd like to replace it with a very hearty plant (in other words, less sensitive to changes in climate, watering, etc.) Any suggestions? I'd like it to be as full as possible and ideally, at least five feet tall.
Thanks!
<JD>

I had pretty good luck with Benjamin figs, Ficus benjamina, except they got too big. For some people they seemed to be rather sensitive, mine would take anything, being dragged to the fair for a garden, left outdoors for weeks.
Suggestions
--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.