Most Excellant Garden Day....On Topic

It sure is good.
Builder garbage is a PITA! Every time I plant a tree or try and dig a hole deeper than two feet, I find brick, rock, nails, you know the story. Cover the fill with a foot or so of clean soil. It was a real problem when I dug the postholes for the fence. This place was built on on fill 25 years ago.
Care Charlie
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 23:05:02 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Our house is not 25 years old, but it is 8 and finally, for the first year the soil is friable. I can now use ordinary free mulch from the recycle center. I bought high quality mulch for several years. It's called Sylvan and is a mulch which is very finely ground containing both bacterial and fungal properties.
Mulches Sylvan Formula
The Sylvan Formula is a pro-active approach to establishing and keeping your trees and shrubs healthy. The formula has been developed to replicate the forest floor. In nature, the forest floor feeds and tends to the needs of the trees and plants without the help of humans. The Sylvan Formula is a blend of Composts, Hardwood Mulch, Basalt, Greensand, Molasses, Cornmeal and inoculated with Aerobic Compost Tea. The blend of compost used in the formula offers both beneficial bacterial and especially fungal microbes and contains no bio-solids (sewer sludge). The compost will percolate down, feeding the plant and providing fungal microorganisms for the soil and plants. The hardwood mulch will protect the soil and root zone from drying out and other extreme conditions. Top-dress your trees and shrubs with a three-inch layer of the Sylvan Formula. It also works great on perennial beds.
I buy it here, but it may be sold elsewhere:
http://www.naturalgardeneraustin.com/bulk_soils_compost_andmore/bulk/index.html

Hmmm...this triggered a thought! I wonder what would be the results and would there be benefits, to inoculating a new compost pile with aerobic compost tea? Compost tea is on my list to use this year, after learning of it last year, thanks to cat daddy.
Would this hasten the process? Would it significantly boost the level of bacterial and fungal microbes? Would the addition of dried molasses to the pile be beneficial? Seems to me that regardless of anticipated benefits, it couldn't be a "bad thing". That is often one of my criteria for gardening experiments....as long as it does no harm, what is the harm. ;-)
I'm going to start a new thread on this.
Thanks.
Care Charlie

Sugar in any form will feed the critters and inspire them to greater productivity. Microbes do well with the carrot form of management method. Sadly, larger organisms seem to accept the stick form of management.
--

Billy

The Murder of Rachel Corrie
Charlie wrote:

You are lucky. My junk begins in the first 2 inches. If it weren't so wet & soft right now, I'd need a pick. As it is, the tiller will buck up the rocks pretty well.
David