Mosses

I would like to take a semi-shady spot in my garden and plant mosses. Anyone have any idea where I might begin to learn more than I do about them? Has anyone had any experience with such an arrangement? Any info welcome.

Reply to
James

try

Ricky

A reader friendly book is 'Moss Gardening: Including Lichens, Liverworts, and Other Miniatures' by George Schenk.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

Mosses like acidic shady moist soil. I have a hard time controlling moss and usually use lime to keep it in check. I haven't tried it, but I've read a few articles that describe blending moss with buttermilk in equal amounts and using this mix to paint rocks, logs, and concrete garden statues.

Reply to
Phisherman

mosses. Anyone

about them? Has

welcome.

controlling

it,

logs,

Some moses grow on limestone, too. Rather than _buying_ a moss that may not do in your area, you will do better to take a walk in the woods, or along a drainage ditch, or seepage area, and scrape up bits of what grows in your area and climate. Try to give it a home that as nearly alike to where you collected it as possible.

Jim Lewis - snipped-for-privacy@nettally.com - Tallahassee, FL - Only where people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Reply to
Jim Lewis
*Most* mosses like acidic, moist, shady soil, however there are also mosses that thrive in sunny, more alkaline conditions (the Bryums, for example).

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

Reply to
Michelle

Never heard of OJ but have heard of yogurt. Both seems as likely to be effective. I wonder what I'd get with diet shakes?

Reply to
Pen

Astroturf?

Reply to