Mosses

I would like to take a semi-shady spot in my garden and plant mosses. Anyone have any idea where I might begin to learn more than I do about them? Has anyone had any experience with such an arrangement? Any info welcome.

try http://www.mossacres.com
A reader friendly book is 'Moss Gardening: Including Lichens, Liverworts, and Other Miniatures' by George Schenk.
Dave

Mosses like acidic shady moist soil. I have a hard time controlling moss and usually use lime to keep it in check. I haven't tried it, but I've read a few articles that describe blending moss with buttermilk in equal amounts and using this mix to paint rocks, logs, and concrete garden statues.
- Tallahassee, FL - Only where people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.
*Most* mosses like acidic, moist, shady soil, however there are also mosses that thrive in sunny, more alkaline conditions (the Bryums, for example).
Dave

This may sound lame but my son recently tried to grow a garden last year he wanted no help so I gave him a corner of the flower garden and let him do as he pleased so first he found some rocks he liked that were sparkely he said and he planted stuf I was sure would never grow like a peach pit and a cherry pit and some other things I am not sure of well needless to say nothing grew except moss I am not sure what he did but I think it was due to orange juice He knew that I compost and he decided to water with o j well I thought he was going to grow mold in my garden when I caught him and I made him stop it is a shady area and it has these sparkely rocks and the damn nicest moss I've ever seen a pretty green carpet of it that is light green and multi toned and lovely thick fuzzy covering over the rocks and parts of the whiteish rocks show through and off set it he even found a log in the woods that has some fungi on it and the moss is growing on it too It looks really nice and my neighbor commented on it and when I told her david did it she thought that was so great he liked to garden. now he has this cute turtle in his garden too and he is pleased as punch. Any one know if the O.J. helped the moss get started? there was never moss there before michelle
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 14:18:19 GMT, "David J Bockman"

Never heard of OJ but have heard of yogurt. Both seems as likely to be effective. I wonder what I'd get with diet shakes?
On 2 Feb 2004 09:32:52 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Pen) wrote:

Astroturf?