Moss to Meadow?

My lawn is heavily infested with moss. I've used weed, feed & mosskiller products for a couple of years on it, to no avail. It has been suggested to me that I should turn it into a wild flower meadow as I'm not succeeding in turning it into a bowling green. Will it work?
My lawn is heavily infested with moss. I've used weed, feed & mosskiller products for a couple of years on it, to no avail. It has been suggested to me that I should turn it into a wild flower meadow as I'm not succeeding in turning it into a bowling green. Will it work?

Moss thrives in damp shady areas. Let more sun in and fix the drainage.

USDA Zone 8
Better yet, move far away from Seattle.
Easier said than done, eh Travis Bickle?

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 18:52:49 GMT, "Travis M."

Moss also requires an acid soil, so you probably need to do a soil test and fix the pH levels in your soil first.
Robin - who has moss and trillium growing in my back yard, and I love it! Alexandria, VA
it'd be MUCH better for any environment to have "natives" growing in lieu of grass which not only requires a lot of water to survive, but, more importantly, grass and their roots are the winter grocerystore for grasshopper, japanese beetle, rose chafer, and a whole lotta more nasties.
if your "lawn" is mossing, that usually means either you're receiving a lot of rain or your groundwater table is very high.
you did not mention where your moss is located (what country? state? location: mountains or valley?) but perhaps a perc test would be in your best interest.....?
--
With Malus toward none, and Cherry-Trees toward all.
snipped-for-privacy@macdialup.com