Moss to Meadow?

My lawn is heavily infested with moss. I've used weed, feed & mosskiller products for a couple of years on it, to no avail. It has been suggested to me that I should turn it into a wild flower meadow as I'm not succeeding in turning it into a bowling green. Will it work?

Reply to
Tizzi

My lawn is heavily infested with moss. I've used weed, feed & mosskiller products for a couple of years on it, to no avail. It has been suggested to me that I should turn it into a wild flower meadow as I'm not succeeding in turning it into a bowling green. Will it work?

Reply to
Tizzi

Moss thrives in damp shady areas. Let more sun in and fix the drainage.

Reply to
Travis M.

Better yet, move far away from Seattle.

Easier said than done, eh Travis Bickle?

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

Moss also requires an acid soil, so you probably need to do a soil test and fix the pH levels in your soil first.

Robin - who has moss and trillium growing in my back yard, and I love it! Alexandria, VA

Reply to
RobinM

it'd be MUCH better for any environment to have "natives" growing in lieu of grass which not only requires a lot of water to survive, but, more importantly, grass and their roots are the winter grocerystore for grasshopper, japanese beetle, rose chafer, and a whole lotta more nasties.

if your "lawn" is mossing, that usually means either you're receiving a lot of rain or your groundwater table is very high.

you did not mention where your moss is located (what country? state? location: mountains or valley?) but perhaps a perc test would be in your best interest.....?

Reply to
frogfog