moss gardens

In another group, a man was talking about ridding moss from his yard. After a bit of banter between pro-moss and ant-moss folks, I said I would have a moss garden and name it after him. Actually, there is an area on the north side of the new abode that currently has some moss and ferns, and I'd like to encourage and supplement both in that area. Has anyone got good resources for moss? I am currently looking at:

is actually logical to me, because I long ago came to the conclusion that I don't want to fight nature (especially when it means poisoning the earth, etc.).

Thanks,

Reply to
Jean B.

Thank you

to Grow Moss for Your Garden

Instructions Things You'll Need: ? Handful Mosses ? One Can Beer ? Plastic Spoons ? Spatulas ? Spatulas ? 1/2 teaspoon sugars

  1. Put a handful of the moss you want to grow into a blender. 2. Add 1/2 tsp. sugar and one can of beer (the cheapest brand), or 2 cups of buttermilk and 2 cups of water. 3. Blend just long enough to mix the ingredients and break down the moss. 4. Spread the soupy mixture with a spatula over the ground or rocks where you want the moss to grow. Tips & Warnings

? Remove as much dirt from the moss as you can before you start.

? Moss grows best in shady areas.

? Once you've spread the moss mixture, don't get it wet or you will wash the mixture away.

------

Billy

Thanks, Billy. While I have frequently encountered the buttermilk method, I had not seen the beer method before. Perhaps I'll compare the two formulae. Hmmm. Spraying statues... I have a very good candidate for that!

It looks like I'll have to make sure the area gets enough moisture, so it stays green enough to please the neighbors (at a distance, anyway).

Reply to
Jean B.

You could also just use an old paintbrush and paint yoghurt on your pots or statues. That too works.

Reply to
FarmI

No, no, you drink the beer, rub on the buttermilk and frolic with the statues under the full moon.

David Hare-Scott

I'll eat the yoghurt and watch while you get pissed and frolic with the statues. :-))

Reply to
FarmI

Statues? It's been awhile, I take it, since you have frolicked. Frolicking is bad for one, but for 2, it's great ;O)

Reply to
Billy

And watchout for sharp edges ;o)))

Reply to
Billy

I will keep that in mind. I do think I will devote at least one of my statues to this experimentation.

Reply to
Jean B.

LOL! Well, (whispering) I don't like beer, so for me, this is a good use for it!

Reply to
Jean B.