Mosquito Magnet Pro problems - anyone else having problems?

Hi,
I purchased a Mosquito Magnet Pro in December of 2001 and placed it in service the following April. We had very good results with the unit but this spring and summer did not. The suction fan either turns too slowly to generate suction, or now the unit will not stay on.
The folks at American Biophysics say we have to buy a repair unit for ~$280 because the original unit does not have the purge setup that the newer ones do. And to top it off, there's a 6 week backorder.
We have to buy the repair because technically we're out of warranty, but I say we've only used the unit for a total of 4 months before it broke. We're located in northern Massachusetts.
It's interesting to note that the manufacturer is offering a 2 year warranty on the new units.
I hear that others are having similar problems, and I'd like to hear from you. Perhaps if enough folks are unhappy with the warranty and repair policies of American Biophysics we could pressure them as a group to treat us better.
To spend $1200 for a unit that they advertise as a pro model, with stainless steel and all that, and then have to spend ~$280 for a repair after just one season seems very unreaosnable to me. What about you?
Post you thoughts here, or send an email to mmagnet-repair - at - scopemaker.com.
Bruce Berger Chelmsford, MA
that stinks. I wonder if there is some way to jerry rig around the problem for a lot less. I mean all it is is a fan and bag. Ingrid
snipped-for-privacy@scopemaker.com (Bruce Berger) wrote:

Bruce Berger wrote:

One possible approach is to write the president of the firm directly and outline how you feel that you have been taken. Ask if this is the reputation s/he wants for the company. It may not work, but it just might.
Chris Owens