Mosquito Magnet

We just bought a Mosquito Magnet out of desperation. Sounds too good to be true but we had to do something.
Does anyone out there have any experience with these?
A search on line is very unrewarding. All the reviews I could find are glowing anecdotal ones and the serious ones all seem to say they could not be independently verified.... the sort of stuff that would keep me from purchasing normally.
It certainly is attracting mosquitoes and there are a lot in the bag but filling it in a week just isn't going to happen.
Any thoughts?
js

No thoughts on the product, but what other measures did you use to reduce the problem before buying the product?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Other than fish in the pond and Dunks in the rain barrel, there is not much I can do other than spray Malathion all over the place. This is not an option as our sheep and goat graze the same area.
We are surrounded by woods and have a couple of acres around the house cleared and grassy and a mile or so of trails through the woods and shrubbery.
I would be more than happy to settle for the mosquito-free acre claimed for the machine.
The biggest problem seems to be the grass. I don't know where they come from but they seem to hang out in the grass until disturbed and then swarm around anyone or thing walking through the grass.
A sheep grazing our lawn looks like B.O. Plenty surrounded by a cloud of mosquitoes. After a few minutes then run back to their shed to get away from them. It is truly pathetic.
js

This may sound like a minor thing, but it helps, based on my experience fishing in some of the most bug infested places in upstate NY: Lose all your unnecessary scents:
- Baby shampoo is unscented - Switch to unscented laundry detergent - Switch to unscented deodorant, etc.....
You can't always eliminate the source of mosquitoes, but you can make yourself less of a buffet.
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 18:31:19 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Had much luck locating unscented products?
I'm not allergic, but I hate the cheap perfume they put in everything. However, along the huge wall of laundry detergents, e.g. in supermarkets, it's amazing if you can find ONE brand that is unscented!!
I complained politely at a professional cleaning products shop where I had hoped to find unscented. The employee said they don't stock it because "most people want" scented.
The only brand that fairly consistently has unscented is Arm & Hammer. Not the cheapest but what can you do?
(I'm not including the "green" products sold at co-ops and health food stores. They are expensive and not that effective.)
P.

<Persephone> wrote in message

No problem at all, without going near any of the silly boutique hippy products.
- Baby shampoo - if you can't find this, you're lying or blind. - Deodorant: Dry Idea unscented gel. - Laundry soap: Plenty. - Dish soap: Regular dawn, not the stupid lemon/lavender crap that's popular with god knows who.
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 22:05:51 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Guess you didn't see my "cri de coeur" about NOT being able to find laundry soap unscented in supermarkets and even small nabe stores.
P.

<Persephone> wrote in message

Where do you live that you can't find unscented laundry soap?

They work. A neighbor has two of them on a couple of acres around her house. The things seem like a dumb idea, but they work anyway.
Jan in Alaska where the mosquito is the state bird

Scotland has summer infestations of an even smaller and more annoying biting insect called midges. A couple of years back, those magnet machines came on the market here and many were bought by local hotels and bars so that the customers could sit outside in the evening without being eaten alive.
They do work; but only very close at hand, nothing like the area claimed in advertising. Okay if you just wanted to protect an open porch or patio but no more. The general opinion here is that they aren't effective enough to be worth the money or trouble.
Janet
They work. but here is the deal. you gotta set em up and get them running in spring BEFORE mosquitoes start biting. the idea is the magnet attracts the females and kills them. that ALSO kills all her offspring on down the line. you MUST keep up on the maintenance, including using a CO2 can to clear the jets. and replace the propane tank on schedule. and just because you dont see many skeeters in the bag doesnt mean it is time to slack off.
placement of the unit is important for good control. we found the shaded side of a garage, under a tree to be ideal. cool, moist.
the dacha is above a swamp. mosquitoes were a horror for all my years growing up. my mother had a wrap around porch with screens built so we could at least sit outside and enjoy her gardens. when she gardened she wore multiple layers of clothes, repellant and screen hat to ward off the critters. we bought the MM only two years before she died, but those two years were almost mosquito free for her gardening (and picking raspberries!). Ingrid