More problems - slugs

I visited the plants tonight and one of my cucumber pots was crawling with slugs. I removed about a dozen by hand. How effective are the natural remedies. I searched the Net and see that a bowl of cheap beer attracts the slugs who apparently are alcoholics. Once sated with the beer they forget to exit the bowl and die. Happily. Would a bowl of chips increase the effectiveness?

Anyone have any favorite methods? I'd even consider a chemical solution if it were not especially toxic.

Can I expect slugs to be less of an issue when the summer heat arrives? Do they burrow into the soil in the pots?

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

Fry the little critters in butter and eat them for a snack while you drink cheap beer. They are very tasty especially after the third six pack!

Reply to
EVP MAN

You sure, you should be gardening?

Reply to
Billy

OK, so this means you have nothing of any use to say?

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

And you could stick your face in it to pluck them out, like bobbing for apples.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

Iron Phosphate is a good bait. Slugs don't like to cross metal strips, hair, sharp sand, ashes. I keep a small (wild) box turtle in my garden to eat the slugs.

Reply to
Phisherman

I doubt it, but it looks like this newsgroup is getting closer to "dead."

Reply to
Phisherman

Iron phosphate, after extremely heavy rains last year. Slugs ate everything, even my large potted urns for the first time ever.

Susan

Reply to
Susan

It's a shame. I've been a newsgroup junkie since 88. Sorry to see it all pass.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

I extracted more than 2 dozen slugs last night. All in just one pot. They were after my prized Red Hmong cucumbers of course. I'll pay the harden center a visit.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

The iron phosphate stopped the destruction pretty much overnight in my pots.

Susan

Reply to
Susan

Wild Billy told be about ScienceLab.com where I purchased 500 g of Ferric Phosphate for about $60. Since slugo etc has 1% active ingredient I thought I would make my own.

I dissolve a little Ferric Phosphate in acid. Acid I use is Coke a Cola. Mix in some stale bread and water and blend it in an old blender. Let it dry and grind in a food processor. All eye ball. I used to measure to 5 places so I got a hint.

Note It took about a year for Sciencelab.com to send me my purchase. It Works however.

Reply to
Bill who putters

I just sprinkled some of the stuff I got at the garden center. I don't think I had to repeat the application, since I waited til the monsoons passed.

Susan

Reply to
Susan

According to goggle groups you have not posted that much till 2008 and I'd guess your number increase is due to cross posting.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Should have posted this.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Surround the stem of each plant with a strip of copper window screen.

Reply to
brooklyn1

You probably don't know this but Google was not always the owner of the newsgroup archives.

was one from 97. There are plenty more earlier than that.

Uh, I worked in academia before 1) the Internet was open to the public and

2) Google did not exist and 3) before AOL and existed even. In fact, I was a computer science major in college in the early 80s and our school worked on some of the original RFCs for various Internet protocols like NNTP. I also worked for DARPA after college while working for the DoD. My first newsgroup post (before they were even archived) was in 1988 on a COBOL programmers group. I was a CompuServe subscriber long before the Internet was even public.

So I've been around a very long time.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

1997 was the year Google bought the Dejanews archives. At that time Dejanews archives went back to 1995. Sorry dude, I've been around since the birth of the net and I even got to take part in the delivery. I still have a nanosecond I got from Admiral Grace Hopper. It.s a piece of wire 11.8 inches long. And I treasure it.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

Are slugs a threat to maturing tomato plants? The stalks on my three plants are pretty thick. I like the metal screen idea.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

It's amazing how long some folks stay alive. Still, he says he worked for the Defense Dept., which would answer a lot of questions.

Reply to
Billy