More problems - slugs

Page 1 of 2
I visited the plants tonight and one of my cucumber pots was crawling with slugs. I removed about a dozen by hand. How effective are the natural remedies. I searched the Net and see that a bowl of cheap beer attracts the slugs who apparently are alcoholics. Once sated with the beer they forget to exit the bowl and die. Happily. Would a bowl of chips increase the effectiveness?
Anyone have any favorite methods? I'd even consider a chemical solution if it were not especially toxic.
Can I expect slugs to be less of an issue when the summer heat arrives? Do they burrow into the soil in the pots?
Fry the little critters in butter and eat them for a snack while you drink cheap beer. They are very tasty especially after the third six pack!

And you could stick your face in it to pluck them out, like bobbing for apples.
Paul

You sure, you should be gardening?
--
- Billy

OK, so this means you have nothing of any use to say?
Paul

I doubt it, but it looks like this newsgroup is getting closer to "dead."

It's a shame. I've been a newsgroup junkie since 88. Sorry to see it all pass.
Paul

According to goggle groups you have not posted that much till 2008 and I'd guess your number increase is due to cross posting.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Should have posted this.
<http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?enc_user=HElpsg4AAAATS0YxY9w7TLK 2DjOjhfzs>
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

1997 was the year Google bought the Dejanews archives. At that time Dejanews archives went back to 1995. Sorry dude, I've been around since the birth of the net and I even got to take part in the delivery. I still have a nanosecond I got from Admiral Grace Hopper. It.s a piece of wire 11.8 inches long. And I treasure it.
Paul

You probably don't know this but Google was not always the owner of the newsgroup archives.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.smokers.cigars/browse_thread/thread/fb7da3fcf75cce9d/185cb59c1360de6?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=author:pmcook%40gte.net
That was one from 97. There are plenty more earlier than that.
Uh, I worked in academia before 1) the Internet was open to the public and 2) Google did not exist and 3) before AOL and existed even. In fact, I was a computer science major in college in the early 80s and our school worked on some of the original RFCs for various Internet protocols like NNTP. I also worked for DARPA after college while working for the DoD. My first newsgroup post (before they were even archived) was in 1988 on a COBOL programmers group. I was a CompuServe subscriber long before the Internet was even public.
So I've been around a very long time.
Paul

It's amazing how long some folks stay alive. Still, he says he worked for the Defense Dept., which would answer a lot of questions.
--
- Billy

Hey billyboy, you basically have 2 options here: one, put me in your killfile and two, just ignore me using your impressive powers of restraint. Other than that your options are pretty limited. I for one have no use for you or your type. If my plebian questions about garden plants offend you, that is your issue, not mine.
Paul

Iron Phosphate is a good bait. Slugs don't like to cross metal strips, hair, sharp sand, ashes. I keep a small (wild) box turtle in my garden to eat the slugs.
x-no-archive: yes
On 5/23/2010 1:35 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

Iron phosphate, after extremely heavy rains last year. Slugs ate everything, even my large potted urns for the first time ever.
Susan

I extracted more than 2 dozen slugs last night. All in just one pot. They were after my prized Red Hmong cucumbers of course. I'll pay the harden center a visit.
Paul
x-no-archive: yes
On 5/23/2010 12:03 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

The iron phosphate stopped the destruction pretty much overnight in my pots.
Susan

Surround the stem of each plant with a strip of copper window screen.

Are slugs a threat to maturing tomato plants? The stalks on my three plants are pretty thick. I like the metal screen idea.
Paul

Where the copper contacts the soil it sets up a very mild galvanic action, like an electrified fence, slugs/snails won't cross it.
http://www.leevalley.com/us/home/Search.aspx?action=n