Moonflower Mutant

My Ipomoea alba vine has sported a purple ruffled mutation or something. Has anyone here seen this before? Is there hope that any seeds that may set from these flowers will produce a vine with similar flowers?
Please follow these links, or see my recent posts in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens for photos
Your links pop up as an email address.... why not just post a link to the pics?
Kate
I've modified the links and they should work now.

Dang! Those are pretty! Do you think that maybe they have cross polinated with a Morning Glory maybe or a stray MG wove itself in? Are they visibly on the same vine both purple and white? If they do make seeds, I'd sure like to get my hands on a few.
When I was just a little Kate my Grandma had a moonflower. As youngins my two cousins and I would go down and watch them open, it was like magic. Thanks for sharing the photos :) Kate

I do have a MG that looks just like that, only it's a normal day time bloomer and has set ZERO seeds ( being a hybred ). But if his sets seeds, I'd like to try them out for next year too.
--

"And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
Arthur C.Clarke 2062:odyssey three

That's a photo of the pu truck I spent my savings to buy and by this last july was dead with a broken engine. I live out in the High Desert now down where everyone has postage stamp lawns, my garden in on 5ac's of Desert field of which I have about 100 x 100ft area to use. No not moving, couldn't if I wanted too, and with 300+ clean nights a year my major telescope gets a lot of work too. But now without wheels, it's walking to the store , doc, etc. for me and the supermarket walk is a 8 mile round trip. I've got to re-write that page, and add my cybershop address's to it.
Blast Off Cybershop http://www.cafeshops.com/starlords
In the Garden Gift Shop http://www.cafeshops.com/InGarden
Astronomy-net shop http://www.cafeshops.com/Astronomy_net
--

"And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
Arthur C.Clarke 2062:odyssey three

So what is the deal, are you looking for donations or just complaining because your truck broke down.
Those postage stamp lawns must look pretty good about now, considering that where you live is an 8 mile walk to the store!
Bill
I've re-writen the page. it's all spelled out now.
At lest out here no one tells me what I can or can't plant or if I can have one or two cars/trucks in the driveway. I'm in a small trailer park out here.
--

"And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
Arthur C.Clarke 2062:odyssey three

If I can't get seeds from these flowers, I'd sure like to grow something that at least looks like them. I'll let you know if I obtain any seeds to share.

If I could read Japanese I could figure out more about it, but it's been growing and blooming all summer, but is already showing signs of die back for fall. I hope to save the roots in a pot over winter inside my trailer and see if I can bring it back to life next spring. Main thing, none of the Japanese MG's I got have set seed, in fact two of them are growing better nowthat I've moved their pots into the shade of the elm tree out front, they didn't much care for the full sun.
--

"And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
Arthur C.Clarke 2062:odyssey three

The first thing I ruled out was a volunteer Morning Glory. I traced the purple-flowered tendril back to the main vine and all the other branches are producing typical large white flowers. The purple flowers seem confused about what time of day they prefer to open, some open late afternoon and some early morning. They have flower buds that don't look like either Morning Glory or Moonflower. I grew these vines from first generation store-bought seed, and the vines are normal in all respects other than the single purple flowering branch, so it must just be a sport. Freaky. Nice.

I think the flowers are self-sterile. I'm gonna try a few hand pollinations between the purple and white flowers and if I get any seeds I'll grow them out and if I get something unique I will be glad to share seeds. A normally sized and shaped purple Moonflower would sure be a hit in my book. May take some time, but I'll keep you all informed.

I sit on my front porch swing and watch them open. Almost every evening little hummingbird moths swing by, and later in the night my Moonflowers and Daturas are frequently visited by huge sphinx moths.

My pleasure!

Thanks for the info Mark :) I planted my Moonflowers on the stair rail leading off the back porch. I have not seen ANYTHING coming to visit them but they are making seed pods, so they are obviously being pollinated. What part of the country are you in that you get these wonderful creatures?
Kate

I'm pretty sure individual flowers can self-pollinate, but they do require insect (or perhaps bat) vectors to cross-pollinate, I'd reckon.

abundance of hummingbirds here, and plan my gardens with them and the moths and butterflies in mind. Here are a few pictures I took two months ago
http://tinyurl.com/6qwlv
I will upload some pics of what became of things when I get a chance. Where do you live?