Moon Glow Pear fertility

I am confused about the self fertility of this variety. I read in Neil Sperry's book on Texas gardening that it was partially self fertile. Since then I read in numerous places on the internet that it was absolutely self sterile. Another source on the internet had both ways listed on the same page! I bought just this one pear tree, now I don't know if I need another variety or not. I know that even if it is self fertile somewhat it will produce much better if there is a cross pollinator.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

All pears, apples, plums, cherries, apricots, peaches, and nectarines are self fertile. They all have flowers with both male and female parts. They will produce fruit by themselves, but many sources point out that buying another variety will yeild more fruit. I think this is a way for nurseries to sell more fruit trees, but thats my opinion.

toad

Reply to
Marley1372