Monstera Deliciosa

Hi all: If you search the archives of this group, you'll find a question from me regarding a pot-bound Monstera Deliciosa. The same plant has again become pot bound, but we really can''t fit a bigger pot in our front room. So although the plant clearly needs repotting, I just can't. What are my alternatives? Is it possible to trim the rootball - a la Bonsai training? Or am I going to have to take cuttings and start again? It's a shame, because this is a plant that has great sentimental value to me. Ideally, I'd like to keep the plant, growing taller, but to constrain it somehow in the same sized pot as that in which it is now.

Any tips/hints greatly appreciated. Happy new year, Mike

Reply to
Mike_Sendrove

g'day mike,

too easy with the philodendrun family mate.

to keep it in the same pot pretty much indefinately when it is well root bound tip it from the pot, trim app' 1/4 of the root ball from each of 2 alternative sides (do 2 sides only), then cut app 1/3 off of the bottom of the root ball.

put enough potting mix into the bottom to compensate for the missing root ball, then fill up the 2 sides that ahve been trimmed adding some slow release fert' as you go water well and hey presto the plant will love it.

and the next time it is root bound trim from the alternaive sides and from the bottom again.

this works with ferns, palms, ficus and lots of other plants that are frown indoors in pots.

happy new year.

snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

gardenlen

Cheers Len. Much appreciated - I've learnt something new today. Mike

Reply to
Mike_Sendrove