Monkey Puzzle Trees

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and I want to buy my Mum a Monkey Puzzle tree for her 50th birthday! She has been going on about wanting one for as long as I can remember but I don't know where I can get one, how much they cost or even how to maintain it!
Need help please!
--
AmyJane13

On Saturday, April 13, 2013 10:10:37 AM UTC-7, AmyJane13 wrote:

Gwacious! I never even *heard* of monkey puzzle tree until now. Most educational!
I went on-line and found umpty varieties, so better do that yourself and select which will best please your Honorable Mum. Since (I assume) it's not going to be a surprise gift, perhaps you could show her the pictures -- unless she already knows exactly which variety she wants.
Also, if there's a plant nursery near you they could help. A good nursery will order a plant for you if they don't stock it. Be sure to leave plenty of time.
Here's some planting instructions:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6721435_plant-monkey-tree.html
Good luck!
HB

On 4/13/13 10:10 AM, AmyJane13 wrote:

The monkey puzzle tree is Araucaria araucana, sometimes called A. imbricata. It cas grow 90 feet (27.4 m) tall. It is hardy to about 32F (0C). It needs good drainage.
DO NOT SIT UNDER A MATURE monkey puzzle tree. They form cones that can weigh 15 pounds (almost 7 kg), which can suddenly drop.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
On 13/04/2013 18:10, AmyJane13 wrote:

Most nurseries or garden centres would be able to get you one if they do not stock it. The cost varies, but they are not cheap plants as they are very slow at first. You can reckon on paying around 10 - 15 for a plant less than 1 foot high, and maybe 40 - 60 for a 2 - 3 feet plant. Above that they get very expensive; you would be hard pushed to find a 5 feet plant for less than 100 - more like 150 - 200. Look around for one which has a straight trunk and regular growth, although if a bit uneven at first they tend to grow straight as they get older.
The male and female plants grow as separate trees. But neither will show flowers (cones) until late teenagers. Remember that these are big trees, growing to 120 feet in the wild, and can easily reach half that in a garden. Do not grow them close to a house or where the upper branches reach over a pavement or path. If you look at pictures of mature Monkey Puzzles you will see they are all "mushroom" shaped. That is because they shed their older branches as they mature. A 12 feet branch dropping from 25 feet can do a lot of damage! They need no maintenance or pruning, and seem remarkably disease-free. Grow in full sun. They do not like dry soil or waterlogged soil, but otherwise seem happy enough even in clay soil, although it won't harm to dig a deep hole and add some good compost when planting them.
Do get one if you have the space for it. As a specimen tree there is nothing to beat them (except other members of the Araucariaceae, perhaps, none of which are hardy enough in the UK, sadly).
--

Jeff