Mondo Grass Bed

We recently purchased a home previously owned by a Mondo grass fanatic! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy most garden plants. . .in moderation! In this case, however, we have 18" strips down both sides of a 70' driveway, creating what looks a little like a runway on Gilligan's Island!
My question is simple. . .how do I kill it. . .for good? I have tried Roundup, but was successful only at temporarily killing the foilage. After two, heavy applications, the grass itself seems to be coming back stronger than ever!
I've already had one landscape firm offer to dig it up for around $400. Originally, I thought that was ridiculous, but I'm starting to wonder if it's actually a bargain! I'd really prefer to avoid a major digging project!
Thanks in advance for your advice!
Tori Harris Paducah, KY

What do you plan to do with the area after removing the mondo grass?
If you don't need to use the area right away, you could use the 8 thicknesses of newspaper covered with some sort of mulch technique. After a month or two, everything underneath should be dead.

The newspaper method probably will not work. I swear the former owners of our house must have had stock in a mondo and liriope nursery somewhere. Take the $400 offer but get a guarantee they will keep coming back to remove what resprouts for the next few years.
Another possibility would be to put an ad in the paper - offering as much mondo grass as people wanted for their landscaping purposes if they will come and dig it up.

I wish I was close to you, I'd dig it up, fer sure. Perry

Which brings up another question. How well does dwarf mondo grass spread? I bought three small clumps recently just to see how it does; I willg get some more next year if it likes where it lives. However, I'm kind of hoping that it will be a little invasive and spread to fill the area I put it in. How invasive is it?
I live in the Southern Appalacians in NW Georgia, hardiness region 7a.
billo
Thanks for all the responses. Since the area runs down both sides of the driveway, we will probably just level things up with some good topsoil and then plant grass seed to match the rest of the lawn.
If anyone else has any ideas, please don't hesitate to post or send an e-mail!
Thanks, Tori Harris
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Harristl) wrote in message

It seems that the only thing that will result from removing the modo grass is that you will then have an extra 210 square feet of grass to maintain. I could see wanting to remove it if you had a plan for somthing unique or interesting.
I'm in the same boat as you buddy. Bought house 2 years ago, grave
driveway bordered by monkey a.k.a. mondo grass. I got sick of tryin to keep the St. Augustine out of the monkey grass and it was tough t mow with the monkey grass in place. It had to go.
First, I mowed it down. Then tried Roundup...several times. It knock it back, but only briefly. I finally stumbled on something that look like it's working. GASOLINE! It's cheap, readily available, and i works. I guess the reason it works so well, is that you can saturat the root system of the grass. Though it's not the greatest for th environment, it'll be cheaper than having it dug out.
Good luck, Van
Harristl Wrote:

-- vanicusrex
I PRAY this is a troll. In much of the deep south, the aquifer (the source of most drinking water there) is only a few feet underground - from 1 foot to 50 feet. In any case, since gasoline contains such a variety of toxic chemicals and has the property of floating on water, rather than sinking to the bottom where it might eventually get sealed in by sand and muck, you're poisoning your own drinking water and that of your friends, neighbors, children and grandchildren. A safer, smarter solution would be to simply lay some thick black plastic over the top of it for a few weeks during warm weather, weighted down with heavy rocks. The combination of heat, lack of sunlight and water will do it in. I think it can be done with clear plastic too, but I think I have heard that you must be careful to really keep the clear plastic down tight to the plants - otherwise, you're just creating a little greenhouse down there- albeit a very very very hot one.