Mondo Grass Bed

We recently purchased a home previously owned by a Mondo grass fanatic! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy most garden plants. . .in moderation! In this case, however, we have 18" strips down both sides of a 70' driveway, creating what looks a little like a runway on Gilligan's Island!

My question is simple. . .how do I kill it. . .for good? I have tried Roundup, but was successful only at temporarily killing the foilage. After two, heavy applications, the grass itself seems to be coming back stronger than ever!

I've already had one landscape firm offer to dig it up for around $400. Originally, I thought that was ridiculous, but I'm starting to wonder if it's actually a bargain! I'd really prefer to avoid a major digging project!

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Tori Harris Paducah, KY

Reply to
Harristl

What do you plan to do with the area after removing the mondo grass?

Reply to
Vox Humana

Reply to
gregpresley

Reply to
gregpresley

The newspaper method probably will not work. I swear the former owners of our house must have had stock in a mondo and liriope nursery somewhere. Take the $400 offer but get a guarantee they will keep coming back to remove what resprouts for the next few years.

Reply to
Marcy Hege

Reply to
Perry Templeton

Thanks for all the responses. Since the area runs down both sides of the driveway, we will probably just level things up with some good topsoil and then plant grass seed to match the rest of the lawn.

If anyone else has any ideas, please don't hesitate to post or send an e-mail!

Thanks, Tori Harris

Reply to
Harristl

It seems that the only thing that will result from removing the modo grass is that you will then have an extra 210 square feet of grass to maintain. I could see wanting to remove it if you had a plan for somthing unique or interesting.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Which brings up another question. How well does dwarf mondo grass spread? I bought three small clumps recently just to see how it does; I willg get some more next year if it likes where it lives. However, I'm kind of hoping that it will be a little invasive and spread to fill the area I put it in. How invasive is it?

I live in the Southern Appalacians in NW Georgia, hardiness region 7a.

billo

Reply to
Bill Oliver

I'm in the same boat as you buddy. Bought house 2 years ago, grave

driveway bordered by monkey a.k.a. mondo grass. I got sick of tryin to keep the St. Augustine out of the monkey grass and it was tough t mow with the monkey grass in place. It had to go.

First, I mowed it down. Then tried Roundup...several times. It knock it back, but only briefly. I finally stumbled on something that look like it's working. GASOLINE! It's cheap, readily available, and i works. I guess the reason it works so well, is that you can saturat the root system of the grass. Though it's not the greatest for th environment, it'll be cheaper than having it dug out.

Good luck, Van

Harristl Wrote:

-- vanicusrex

Reply to