Mole murdering

Hi all,
Where we live, there is an empty house next door with a huge mol problem. The bark garden has so many molehills they have joine together and it looks like someone has been digging trenches. I've use every kind of mole repellant to repel their occasional forays over ou side of the fence, but today I have decided that enough is enough an thought I'd check out a gardening message board for some exper advice...
Does anyone on here know the most effective way to kill them when the come over to my back garden under the fence? I want every last one o them, and their children, dead. Not diverted to next door for a mont or so until they have another go. Dead. Never to return again. Decease - though preferably not pushing up the daisies...
Any advice would be welcome. On registering I did a quick search fo "moles" and saw one of these recommended on another threa http://tinyurl.com/tftwn
Can anyone else vouch for their effectiveness? Would some kind o warfarin based/rat poison type bait be more effective? At the moment I'm seriously considering sticking a few bangers down the holes an hoping they die of shock!
Cheers,
Moleyguy
-- moleyguy
moleyguy wrote:

There is a very good reason the highest paid and most respected 'craft' in olden times was molecatcher.
Here's my take on it;
1. Traps 2. Talpirid aka Tomcat 3. Giant Destroyer 4. Rodenator 5. Propane 6. Lawnmower exhaust
Each of the above have the potential to work, but each comes with problems and risks. Then of course, a mole may just move in again next spring. A mole has a large territory and is solitary. Unless they are breeding or a female is raising pups - there is only one. They mostly eat worms. They do not eat plants. They will abandon a set of tunnels when the area is sparse in worms, so 3-4 of the above approaches require close observation for present activity. numbers 5 and 6(which is my own, as yet untesed, idea) have the risk that gasses could collect in basements or the drainage/sewer system. Number 4 is very - uh - dramatic and maybe not sutable for urban settinsg (see the videos at the website). Good luck. I just gave mine a name and consider it an invisible pet.
the other stuff, repellents, windmills, sonic chasers,etc. are probably worthless.
ymmv
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Carl 1 Lucky Texan Wrote:

Thanks for the advice, that's really useful. If they are solitary the I will try and give (1) a go. If my luck's in then I'll get him otherwise I might have to think about naming him like you have!
In the longer run I think I might invest in a fence with a concret base once I'm sure they have left my side of the boundary..
-- moleyguy
moleyguy Wrote:

Well, looks like you really have problems. I had them to but thi worked: http://tinyurl.com/ygf7ub
P.S. Don't use poison. It might affect your vegetbales, grass..
-- Lukaslo

I have used poison bait, gas grenades and two kinds of mole traps - I have not tried the lawn spray that kills insects and worms to get rid of moles.
My father's old spring-loaded vertical trap worked best - a new one was kind of weak - because it couldn't drive itself into the soil, I had to make holes for the prongs and then retract and set it.
Gas grenades just annoyed them/it.
They/it stuck up their noses at the bait pellets - although once I got the mole mid-summer; next year, part way into the year, there was a little activity near the bait drop spot, and then nothing for the rest of the year - leading me to believe the new tenant ate last year's bait pellets.
fwiw

Juicy fruit gum and broken glass.
Weird
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
--> http://www.ocutech.com/

You could try the all-natural approach, and get a cat. Preferably a barn cat who knows to kill them before dragging them indoors, unlike my mole-murdering housecat.
moleyguy Wrote:

Hi we have had good success with a product we sell on our web sit www.everythingforthegarden it is a sonic product called Solar Mola that puts pulses into the soil that the moles do not like and thi keeps them away. I know it does not kill them but with the killin method you are only buying time as more Moles will invade as they ar constantly looking for new territory. We have sold many of them and no complaint so why not try this firs remember is is solar so no power is needed. Regards Charles www.everythingforthegarden.co.u
-- Charles White

We had some of these for our yard (not the same brand, but a vibrating/sonic thingie we got at Costco) and they didn't work worth a darn.. We had gophers that would dig holes right next to it as-if to laugh at me.. We ended up using the trap called a "Black Hole".. It works great and did them in 95% of the time on the first try (assuming you place the traps properly).. I've only had one gopher that was a bit too smart and it took 3-4 tries to get him, but we had 6-7 gophers that kept eating everything and digging holes all over our garden and lawn.. I got tired of falling into holes and tripping and used the black hole after nothing else worked..
If you feel like giving this critter a sporting chance, you might try using various weeder devices like prongs or weed twisters. Here you have to hunt and jab the poor creature, but at least you wont pollute your neighborhood with chemicals. If he gets away from you, maybe he deserves to live?
The ultimate solution would be to build a deep fence around your yard that moles can't or won't penetrate. This would require a foundation or grid of some sort deep enough to block the depth of mole tunnels. Perhaps someone may contribute their knowledge on the maximum depth of mole tunnels?
Rick F. wrote:

I've ready 6-8' (yes -- FEET).. That would be some mighty expensive hole digging if you ask me!
Rick F. wrote:

Wouldn't guarantee freedom from moles anyway - they can move across the top of the soil (though reluctantly it seems).
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

We have found that they like straight lines. So a naturalized planting may be more difficult for the moles. However I always thought it was the voles that used the mole tunnels that damaged the larger scrubs and young trees. I wrap my "special plants " with gutter guards. Six inch fencing buried 5 inches. I've a lot of metal in my garden ;)) This is not perfect but seems to help.
Bill in Mole/Vole turf.
Ps The moles are looking for worms and grubs. My garden is loaded with worms and grubs due to lots of organic matter. Win some loose some.
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Perhaps another approach may be to guard your flowerbed with an underground layer of thick wire screens perhaps with 1/2" squares. To do this you will have to initially dig out your critical area about one foot deep and lay the wire screen across the bottom and around the sides making a complete box under ground.

When i plant tulips in the Fall now, i put them in clear plastic pots with small drainage holes in it and bury the pot in the ground with about an inch of the pot sticking out above the ground.Haven`t lost any more tulips to moles with this method.I have tried everything to get rid of the moles including my cat who was a good catcher for a few years, but i think she is retired from hunting now.I will try that Blackhole trap soon.Rick
Rick Yerke wrote:

Moles are not interested in vegetation. They feed on invertebrates with about 70% of their diet being earthworms. The may disturb plants/sod with tunnels/hills, but won't eat them. Gophers (I dunno about voles?) are vegetarians.
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

The plunger trap is best but learn how to use it. Put the trap in place and work the points up and down a few times to make holes in the soil and then set it. Mesh the runs down and select the run they open up first, it will be the main run. Put a shovel under the trap and lift it out because you may just have a prong thru its skin.
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley