mislabeled plants from monrovia

Wondering if there is a trend to Monrovia plants being mislabled or if I just have had some bad luck recently. I have bought a few different azaleas that turned out to be something other than what they were labeled, all in Monrovia pots with Monrovia tags. Most recently I bought some witch hazels, Hamamelis × intermedia 'Diane' and 'Jelena' the latter of which has not bloomed, so who knows what it will be, but the 'Diane' has had a couple of random blooms already and they were bright yellow. Disappointing when I planned around where I was planting them and was really looking forward to the red blooms of the 'Diane' where I had placed it.

Reply to
good ol hoppy rabbit

Monrovia is one of the most disappointment-oriented companies what is. See this article:

the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Keep in mind that it might be the retail nursery's fault. Monrovia has become more and more unreliable these days however. The problem is that these huge nurseries are buying up smaller ones and unloading that product on thier customers, and you may not actually be getting something that was grown by monrovia. The plants that they actually grew, they stuffed into a smaller container than what the plant needed and they became rootbound. Then they put these plants on a 24 hour a day drip schedule, which basically supplies them with liquid fertilizer all day and night. Then they take the plants off this system and ship them. After a few weeks, the plants start to decline because they are so rootbound, and because they arent getting thier constant water and fertilizer. I sort of agree with paghats website, but of course it is majorly biased because of her specific experiences.

toad

Reply to
Marley1372

Even so, there aren't many excuses for bad service, especially when you can find companies which make GOOD service seem effortless. For instance, if you're buying computer memory in the future, try Kingston. I bought from them a month ago and had a problem. The new module wasn't compatible with the existing one in my computer. They've been jumping through hoops since then, trying to find a compatible one so I don't have to buy two matching ones. They've paid for all the returns. They've called two days after each shipment to see if the solutions worked. So far, we've been unsuccessful. I emailed the tech support guy this past Friday and said "Oh well - maybe I should just start from scratch and buy two matching modules". He called back yesterday to say they had the same idea, with one difference: They were sending me a matching pair, but charging only for the original $59.00 item.

This is amazing, especially since I'm an individual user, not a corporate buyer who stands to send them a ton of business in the future.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I think the Monrovia mislabeling is fairly common. I bought a rose of sharon in the spring labeled Helene and had it bloom as a small double pink instead of the big single white with red center I was expecting. However, the nursery honored a return and supplied me with a Helene in bloom. (As a matter of fact, the employee was going to give me a much bigger pot size, but the owner caught him and made him hunt around until he found the one remaining smaller sized one.) Of course, the new one is not as well established as the one I babied since May, so I worry about it making it through its first winter.

Reply to
gregpresley