Mint Tea fertilizer

Page 1 of 2
Hello!
I know that you can use comfrey tea, and even normal 'builders' tea as a plant fertilizer.
Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldnt use Peppermint Tea?
It must contain nitrogen and other goodness?
--
Dodge

I would suugest testing on a small area first to make sure that it isn't too strong. I used some very strong comfrey tea on some pots and the tomatoe plants in them turned yellow, which wasn't the desired effect!
--
Potman

Dodge wrote:

Must it? Because it smells so nice? I doubt there is any significant mineral content. Think of it this way, there is little nutrition in whole leaves and your tea is only extracting a small amount of what is there. I could be wrong and I haven't seen any analysis that would settle it one way or the other.
David
Dodge wrote:

Must it? Because it smells so nice? I doubt there is any significant mineral content. Think of it this way, there is little nutrition in whole leaves and your tea is only extracting a small amount of what is there. I could be wrong and I haven't seen any analysis that would settle it one way or the other.
David

Maybe "USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference" <http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
Enter "Mentha spicata", and select "spices and herbs" from "Food Groups".
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and
Billy wrote:

I could play with this all day! Peppermint comes up under Mentha x piperita but they don't have comfrey. Compare to spinach and kale it seems leafy greens have some potassium (about half of 1%) and not much else in the way of minerals useful for plants that is soluble. Nitrogen is not mentioned as such but it will be mainly bound in the proteins and so not extracted in a tea. I can think of much easier and more effective ways to get some potash into my soil, keeping in mind that whatever you get out of your tea came out of the soil in the first place.
Thanks all.
The only reason I ask is that I have a codiaeum on my desk at work, and I keep forgetting to bring in a little fertilzier from home, but I do have mint tea at work.
However it appears other than making it smell nice, it wont really achieve much else.
I'll just to have put a knot in my hankie so i remember.
--
Dodge

Mint hay or "mint compost" is the stuff that's left after the oils are harvested. Runs about 2.0-0.8-2.8 (NPK). Mint tea would be much, much less concentrated than that. So it sounds like a very expensive way to add minimal soil nutrients.
Mint oils are terpene derivatives... no NPK.
Kay

How about cost?
Chris

At least it would help cover the smell of the fertilizer. Although, we spent 2 weeks on a dairy farm in Brittany, and at first I was appalled by the smell, but by the time we left, I didn't notice it at all. (Bourg-Blanc, the Le Hir family).
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and
Billy wrote:

For your next holiday you should room next to a chicken shed, try to be there when they clean it out.

Would that be worse that being next to the U.S. Congress, which never gets cleaned out?
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and

Nice hijack.
Mint is good as an activator. Add it to comfrey etc and get better effect. Accelerated effect.
No cites, my studied opinion. (And who knows what I've studied.)

(your call) these are very dangerous times.

Comfry and yarrow as compost activators. There may be more.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and

Yes, and we wouldn't want a gardening newsgroup to be nurturing and a place of peace.

I'm sure there are. It's not like plants are on this earth for no reason.

lobotomy be sufficient?
--
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why
the poor have no food, they call you a communist."
Billy wrote:

To a kid with a hammer everything is a nail .....

Point taken, paranoid, or not. But to a humanist, all lives are worth saving (all life).
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and
Billy wrote: ...

dude, that's a pork farm.
songbird

That's hamming it up a bit, don't you think ;O))