Mint plants

Hi all!!

I have a couple of mint plants in a window box (70cm x 20cm) that were outside. They weren't growing at all because of the cold, but as soon as I put them on the windowsill over the heater they sure enjoy it!!

Anyways, I grow the mint so I can do mint sauce so I don't use any pesticides or other chemicals on them.

Question...

I know that the box limits their spreading growth, but is there any technique to make them more leafy and scenty?

Thanks, Max

Reply to
MaxMustermann

Plants tend to become leggy indoors as they grow towards the window. Since mint grows quickly you can try pruning it when it starts to become leggy. Think of it like mowing the lawn. Also every week or two turn the box around if you can, that will help prevent them from becoming too leggy, or use artificial light from a different angle.

When are they lacking scent? the final product? or are you hoping the room will smell like mint?

Mint oil is released when the leaves are crushed, it started out as nature's way of saying "don't eat me."

-S

Reply to
Koi-lo

I do turn the box once a week. What do you mean by 'leggy'?

This is quite funny... It all started when I once brought a small mint plant back home with me. I divided it and gave a part to my in-laws. They planted it in the garden but didn't know it's too invasive till it took over a large part of the garden!!

Well, my original plant died and I brought back some from the garden.

The differences from the mint in the garden and that one in the box are:

  1. Leaves. Those in the garden are HUGE. Those in the box are smaller
  2. Scent. Those in the garden have a powerful scent. Those in the box barely any scent
  3. Taste. Those in the garden have a strong taste. Those in the box much more less

Max

Reply to
MaxMustermann