Mint Garden and Over Watering Questions

Please visit my photoblog below to get an idea of what I am talking about:

First a quick note about navigating the site. Click any thumbnail to see the picture, and click the big one to zoom in. You can zoom in more from the next page.

first question is in reference to the plants in the flower-box. This self-watering flower-box is very handy. It keeps everything watered

24/7. However, I am worried about over-watering. In the close up shots, you can see some green stuff on the surface of the dirt. Is this algae? How can I stop this and will it hurt my plants?

My other question is about the mint garden. As you can see, my plants are beginning to grow. I water them with the sprinkler for about an hour a day. Will they spread in this clay soil? I tilled it prior to planting, and mixed in some top soil. However, with watering everyday, the soil seems to have settled. I want this area to be completely DEVOURED by the mint, which is why I planted such a intrusive array of plants. I noticed the peppermint tends to grow out, while the others just grow up. What can I expect and when?

I live in Maryland, north of Baltimore. The soil is all clay. The summer is hot and humid (85+ everyday). It rains regularly all season all year. Snow comes in late December and usually lasts on and off until March.

That said, what can I expect of my creations year-round? Thanks a lot!

Reply to
Elliott Plack, USAR

The plants in your hydroculture pot look OK - the 'algae' is mor likely moss. While moss won't hurt your seedlings, it does compete for soi nutrients. If it bothers you, just change the soil - either way, it' not something to worry to much about.

In most pots like this, the reservoir of water is usually lower o outside of where the roots of your plant are. Over watering is not problem. These pots are made to prevent this. Just keep an eye on th water gauge and you'll be fine.

You look like you're in a 6b growing zone. You can expect your mint t die back in the winter and return the following spring. The apple min I have in the garden sends out long runners - 5 feet in the sprin along the surface until the soil warms enough for the runners t underground. It takes root easily and send up new plants where it takes root. Ver invasive. Give it two or three seasons and it will cover a six to te square foot patch of your garden. The spearmint I have doesn't seem t spread as much but it seeds readily. Get some of this and you'll hav seedlings everywhere the following year. Eau de cologne mint is anothe one with long runners - give it two seasons and look out! Lemon Balm also in the mint family, self seeds prolifically!

Mint seems to grow in just about any kind of soil to some degree o other. I have no dought that in a sunny, moist spot in your garden you'll have it for many years.

Article on mint... visit:

fun

-- LavenderBee

Reply to