Minnesota Hedge

List,

I have been an occasional lurker on this group, but now have a question. I have been looking for a good hedge plant for Rochester, MN (zone 4), but every time I think I have figured a good plant I discover a reason why it won't work. First, I am looking for an evergreen to block the wind in winter in addition to providing privacy and form in the warmer months. I considered Japanese Yew but I also have a deer problem and understand it would be a constant battle. I also considered Juniper but I have apple trees and understand Juniper is a secondary host for an apple rust. I even considered barberry, I believe, but understand it can be invasive.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for an evergreen hedge plant for zone 4 that is ok with apples and cherries, will provide a good wind block at about 6-8 feet high, and that the deer will not devour?

Thanks much in advance,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Look for something native that the deer don't eat.

Reply to
Travis

"Mike" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Mike,

Consider an old school choice, Maclura pomifera (Bodark, Bois d'arc, Osage- orange, also called Hedge-apple). While it is not a glamorous choice, it's not without its charm and will certainly make an effective, impenetrable hedgerow over time.

Reply to
David Bockman

Hi David and Travis,

Thanks for the ideas. I'll explore them both online and with my local nursery. Any other ideas worth pursuing?

Thanks,

Mike

David Bockman wrote:

Reply to