Minnesota Hedge

List,
I have been an occasional lurker on this group, but now have a question. I have been looking for a good hedge plant for Rochester, MN (zone 4), but every time I think I have figured a good plant I discover a reason why it won't work. First, I am looking for an evergreen to block the wind in winter in addition to providing privacy and form in the warmer months. I considered Japanese Yew but I also have a deer problem and understand it would be a constant battle. I also considered Juniper but I have apple trees and understand Juniper is a secondary host for an apple rust. I even considered barberry, I believe, but understand it can be invasive.
Does anyone have a good suggestion for an evergreen hedge plant for zone 4 that is ok with apples and cherries, will provide a good wind block at about 6-8 feet high, and that the deer will not devour?
Thanks much in advance,
Mike
Mike wrote:

Look for something native that the deer don't eat.

USDA Zone 8

Mike,
Consider an old school choice, Maclura pomifera (Bodark, Bois d'arc, Osage- orange, also called Hedge-apple). While it is not a glamorous choice, it's not without its charm and will certainly make an effective, impenetrable hedgerow over time.
email: snipped-for-privacy@beyondgardening.com
Hi David and Travis,
Thanks for the ideas. I'll explore them both online and with my local nursery. Any other ideas worth pursuing?
Thanks,
Mike