Miniature roses in pots

I have a medium size (2-3 gallon, I'm not sure) container. I want to plant miniature rose in it. I went to HD today. I found a 6 inch miniature rose and asked the lady there. She says I have to re-pot the rose in about a year. Is this true? I don't want to re-pot the rose again in just a year.

If I want to leave a miniature rose in a container for atleast 5 years, typically how big the container should be?

Thanks.

Reply to
ted

I had three miniature roses in one pot 18 inches by 6 inches by six inches, they survived quite happily for 6 years with the occasional dose of rose fertilizer. They only had problems when I finally got my own place and had to survive when replanted in the garden!.

The Q

Reply to
the q

On my patio, I have a large, shallow pot 20 inches across and 12 inches deep. I have five miniature roses in it with the soil only

9 inches deep. I planted this several years ago and have never repotted it.

I used my own recipe for potting mix; see . The pot is up on two bricks so that air will circulate under it and to ensure excess water drains (especially during the winter rains). The pot gets lots of indirect light but little direct sun.

I water the pot about once in two days (daily in very hot, dry weather). I feed the roses a half-handful of ammonium sulfate about once a month (a whole handful of general purpose fertilizer when growth starts in the spring). I am always sure to feed only when the soil is moist.

There are three 'Shy Girl' (white) roses across the middle with a 'Red Minimo' on each side. It's in full bloom right now and looks great.

Reply to
David Ross