Mini Roses gone wild

I have some mini roses that were about 6 inches high and this year they have suddenly shot up to about 2 to 3 feet high with red roses that turn brown shortly after opening up. Is this what happens to mini roses? I'm tempted to dig them up or should I trim them back and wait to see what happens? They are at the front of the flower bed and are now in front of shorter plants. I'm in zone 5.
Lori
sounds like they were grafted onto reg roses and the tall stuff is from the roots. my minis dont do this. Ingrid

Thanks foir the reply. Should I trim it back or will it stay the regular size? Lori
On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 04:30:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

That is what it sounds like, but aren't miniature roses usually on their own roots? Just curious, Dora
snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

In my experience -- zone 5 -- 2-3 feet tall is about the maximum height for miniature rose plants.
As far as the roses turning brown shortly after opening, do you mean the flowers or the rose plants? Either way, especially if you're referring to the plants, the first thing that comes to mind is moisture -- did they get enough water or did they so much the roots rotted?
Here where I am in zone 5 (Milwaukee, WI), we've had a few droughty summers and the soil is quite dry this year also.
Before digging them out, I'd prune out the dead stuff and wait and see.
Good luck!
Suzy O, Zone 5, Milwaukee, WI

Sorry I was so long getting back to you. The miniature roses I was talking about are only about 5-6 inches high. It is long and stragley now with small red roses on one stalk that turned brown shortly after opening. The roses turned brown. The soil is dry and I water them but it's not like a good rain. Since my last post small green worms have done a number on the plant. Not many whole leaves left so I guess i will prune it back.
Lori