Milorganite organic fertilizer as deer deterent

I read on the Internet that Milorganite organic turf fertilizer has a distinct odor that seems to deter deer. Has anyone tried it with any success? Is it only for lawns or can it be used in the garden too? I'll probably buy a bag to try it out. The deer have been visiting more and more, and like to chomp on my wife's favorite garden plants.

Reply to
tenplay

I did as suggested a googled Milorganite last night and found the results interesting. Some sources state it is safe and rigorously tested to ensure heavy metals are present only in safely mandated concentrations. Other sources saying that the safety standards are a result of political lobbying and somewhat arbitary. I guess it boils down to whether people have a trust in corporate and beaurecratic US. By the way, we don't get it here in NZ so my interest is only academic.

rob

Reply to
George.com

Milorganite is dried sewage sludge, plain and simple. It's loaded with heavy metals and some not so good for you bacteria; I wouldn't have that "crap" anywhere on my property, let alone in my veggie garden. Google "Milorganite+heavy metals" and then make up your own mind. Organic doesn't necessarily mean good for you.........nightshade is organic, all mushrooms are organic, potato and rhubarb leaves are organic, the pods on a golden chain tree are organic........make a salad and chow down, after all, it's ALL organic!!

Reply to
Val

no, it wont work. They make it here, we all use it (on lawns, NOT in the veggie gardens!!) and it doesnt do squat.

you need a barrier!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

It works for a couple weeks, but Milorganite should be used as a fertilizer. There are better products specifically made for deterring deer ("Deer Away," "Deer Off," etc.) I can't recall, but there is one product that supposedly lasts for months. There's also a home-brew you can make to spray onto your plants, made from raw eggs.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
bamboo

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't know that it is such a sinister product. You can't trust anything to be what it promises to be anymore.

Reply to
tenplay

From

"Yes, that is true. All fertilizers, both organic and synthetic, contain some heavy metals. In fact, plants need some heavy metals, such as zinc and copper and molybdenum, for normal, healthy growth."

an article in the mentioned google search pointed out that cadmium was the biggest problem, but that changes to wastewater regulations in the

80's on what was allowed to be discharged, has solved that problem.

-- Silly sig to prevent isp ad

Reply to
John Hines

The only thing that deters deer are physical barriers. They are forbs eaters and will eat everything in sight if hungry enough. Milorganite is a sludge product. The sludge is that of human waste.

Do a search for what's called "deer fencing" and you will find it is very inexpensive and virtually invisible. It's not hard fence, it's a small gauge plastic mesh and it is six feet tall. You put it up with stakes. Check that out.

Reply to
Jangchub

For your academic interest, in terms of being natural or safe, the term organic is bandied about way too often. The ONLY product of any kind which is truly "organic" in the sense there are no GMOs, heavy metals, toxic fillers, human sludge, are now called Certified Organic and MUST live up to that or could potentially lose their production.

It's gotten a lot of attention in the U.S. over the last ten years or so. Milorganite has changed the way it is made, helping with some of the problems they had, but you're corret when you assert trust or lack of in beaurecratic U.S. studies.

Reply to
Jangchub