Millet for Bird Food

Hi,

My bird, a Cockatiel, loves millet. I would like to grow some in my garden. Any body tried growing millet (I think it is White Millet)?

Rich NC, Zone 7

Reply to
Rich McKinney

It grows fairly easily apparently. I say this because I often find millet growing under my birdfeeder. Keep in mind that most the prepackaged bird seed bags contain heat treated or irradiated seeds to prevent the spilled seed from germinating. Get a handful of millet from the bulk bins at a feed store, that stuff is usually not sterilized, it's typically about 25c per pound.

I suppose if you want to grow this specifically for your pet's consumption and not all the local wild birds you'll probably need to cover it in some sort of netting.

-S

Reply to
Snooze

Yes, ought to be very easy to grow. I used to grow it from the seed purchased for my zebra finches. And yes, since birds love it, as the seed heads mature, cover it -- nylon netting works well and is very inexpensive.

Suzy in Wis., zone 5

Reply to
S Orth