Milkweed plant source? and a pic for you caterpillar lovers

I've planted many milkweed seed in the last 4 years and have just two plants living. I usually propagate wild varieties but was wondering if anyone knew of small plants for sale?

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

I used to see lots here in Jackson,NJ but with the cows disappearring, the milk weed went too. I doubt if therE is a correlation but they seemed to be related.

Reply to
betsyb

William Wagner expounded:

Yep, that's some caterpillar!

Reply to
Ann

The link did not work.

I am interested in buying mildweed. Any leads?

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

Um Worked for me and Ann. Maybe a temporary fluke?

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

FWIW, I recently noted to myself that the Asclepias tuberosa in my that were most vigorous were the ones that had self-sown or been started by me from cuttings. The original plants that I'd gotten mail-order lasted only a couple of years, but some of their progeny has thrived for many years. And the self-sown seedling still beat the cutting-grown plants for vigor.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Well,

has some listed in their catalog (they seem to have a spring and fall shipping season).

Here in the DC area, there are quite a few native plant nurseries. Most of them are small operations which go to plant sales, do mail order, or will make an appointment. At least one (

) has regular hours (at least in the summer).

In the San Francisco area, I know there are a few nurseries with native plants.

Oh, and

is a good place to start if you really want to get into things like researching whether a plant is native to your area, or a few states over.

I hope I'm not making this whole thing seem too difficult, but there are a quite a few resources which are out there (but may require a bit of seeking out).

Reply to
Jim Kingdon

Thank You!

Bill