MidWest hydrangeas care pre-winter?

My hydrangeas have huge 16" blossoms this year. The stems are bent from the weight. They started spring with white color and turned green color around August. Now they are rust colored but seem disease free. What and when do I do with these pre-winter?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Find out the exact type of hydrangeas you have and prune accordingly. DO NOT prune now if they bud off old wood. Folks in my town (Chicago) use tomato cages or shepard's hooks to support huge blooms so they don't flop over. Same goes with huge peonies in spring. http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/pruning.html is a good resource.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Thanks. A great site for information. I had cut mine down to 5" last fall and they came back very strong this year. And yes, the stems are weaker.
Wisconsin back roads seem to have a lot of wild hydrangea bushes along road sides boardering farmers fields. They almost look like Rose of Sharon bushes. They are 6 foot or taller. I would like to get some like that for my yard.