mid-Summer planting question

Due to the timing of a move to a new home, I'm tentatively planning to do a lot of planting in June and July. It occurs to me that this might be late for planting and wonder if anyone would care to levy a caveat? We're moving to zone 6b, Missouri bootheel. Thanks.

Reply to
Zeugitai

My garden is at its best in the fall, due to the large amount of greens I plant. But you will have to be content with greens this year. No tomatoes, zucchini, or corn.

In june-july you can plant radicchio and broccoli. In july plant kale, peas, tatsoi, lettuce, bok choi and arugula. In August plant broccoli rabe.

In june you could consider planting carrots and beets as well. In august you could consider radishes and in september pea shoots.

You should also plant all sorts of perennial herbs in june or july. Sorrel, mint, thyme, sage, lemon balm and oregano. They will be there for you next april and forever after.

Reply to
simy1

Hi Zeugitai,

Congratulations on your new home! Try and plant on cloudy days i possible to avoid stress to the plants, and you too. If anything yo plant is rootbound, tease the roots loose so they can more quickly ge out into the soil. Water any potted plants well the day before yo plant. Mulch well to retain moisture and more even soil temps. Plan the sunny beds in June if possible before the sun gets too hot and sav the shade garden for the warmer days. Be consistant with watering i you don't get an inch of rain a week and check daily in July and Augus for heat stress.

New

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt

Containerized plants can be planted any time of the year provided they are fully saturated while still in the container and they are not root bound. This suggestion is for annuals, perennials, shrubs and trees. Vegetables will have to wait till the fall planting. Where I live, we start our fall garden vegetables in July. I'm in S.Central Texas.

escape

"Zeugitai" wrote in news:1115173787.208760.168990 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Up to the beginning of July you can get in bush beans and cucumbers (my mother in zone 5 (southeast Nebraska) plants before July 4 and gets a late crop before frost. You can also get broccoli, kale, lettuce, radishes, and other greens planted in late summer/early autumn. And if you really want tomatoes, plant a cherry or grape tomato plant in a large pot and haul it to Missouri with you.

Reply to
Richard