Michael Pollan

Page 2 of 2

Certainly not when you consider the later health impacts.

Lee, I can only use myself as an example. I had no preconceived ideas going into "Omnivore's Dilemma" except that except that I felt that a lot of the fiber and nutrients were being left out of processed foods and too much sugar and fat was going in. "Omnivore's Dilemma" dotted the "I"s and crossed the "T"s for me. Plus it notes, that some of the nutrients never made it in, much less got removed latter.
Strides are being made on children's lunch foods around the country. Whether it is incorporating gardening to teach math, science, nutrition, and cooking or working with a CSA to provide fresh, wholesome food to students.
The environmental movement started slowly with Rachel Carson and grew. The ideas will not always fall on fertile ground. I remember hearing an inner city activist complain that she could go out in her neighborhood and by an oz. of junk or crack, or an AK-47 but she couldn't buy an organic apple. There are groups trying to get healthy food to people who want it. I'm trying to hook up with a CSA for weekly boxes of veggies to complement my gardening. Whole Foods poses as the organic equivalent of industrial food but they in turn, pointed out by Pollan, still don't get it. Organic milk made by free roaming cows that require an acre each? Free range chickens that may have a small yard available to them if they can find it? The schuck and jive and, the full tilt spin is alive and well in "organic" land. This is also addressed by Pollan. I'm not saying buy the book. Your library must have it. Request it. Browse it. Then you'll have your own opinion.
A couple of other books I'd recommend for browsing would be:
Eat Here: Homegrown Pleasures in a Global Supermarket by Brian Halweil The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved: Inside America's Underground Food Movements by Sandor Ellix Katz
The "Omnivore's Dilemma" as Pollan sees it is that we can eat so many different things. Whereas some species are very restricted to what they can eat, we are nearly unlimited. Pollan argues that, in part, is what culture is for, to help us make the right food choices. In this country of diverse cultures, the food culture has become diluted to insignificance. We can only reconstitute our food culture, if the truths are nurtured.

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars