Mesquite Seedlings

Hi, I picked up some mesquite and desert fern tree seeds from the ground in Phoenix and brought them home to Boston. Just for a kick, after soaking them overnight, I planted them in peat pots and now I've got 3" seedlings from four or five of them. I think they send out long taproots, so I know I'll have to re-plant them in something bigger soon. I know this may seem silly, but is either tree by any chance hardy in a sheltered area in Zone 11 (Boston)? I've already got some hardy opuntia out and I thought.... If not, is it reasonable to pot them up? Thanks, Ed

Reply to
Ed Dente

J.R. Yezierski

Hi, As soon as I sent this I realized how far off I was. I don't know what I was thinking of. Zone 11!?! Ascribe it to early Monday morning. Ed

J.R. Yezierski wrote: : Zone 11 ? : Boston is zone 5 unless you have a micro climate in the downtown area. : I would be interested if mesquite would survive our New England winters.It : is such a beautiful wood but is expensive and difficult to purchase. : I for one would buy some lumber five years from now as I understand it grows : like our sumac. : "Ed Dente" wrote in message : news:0G_6b.153$ snipped-for-privacy@news.tufts.edu... :> Hi, :> I picked up some mesquite and desert fern tree seeds from the ground in :> Phoenix and brought them home to Boston. Just for a kick, after soaking :> them overnight, I planted :> them in peat pots and now I've got 3" seedlings from four or five of :> them. I think :> they send out long taproots, so I know I'll have to re-plant them in :> something bigger soon. :> I know this may seem silly, but is either tree by any chance hardy in a :> sheltered area in Zone 11 (Boston)? I've already got some hardy opuntia :> out and I thought.... :> If not, is it reasonable to pot them up? :> Thanks, :> Ed

Reply to
Ed Dente

Almost as kewl as the alligator!

Reply to