Meat for Pastys and the like

Page 1 of 3
I will be making some meat pies, such as pastys. I have seen recipes calling for ground beef, but I would like to perhaps do this a bit better. One option would be to coarse grind my own beef, the other would be to dice my own beef (more work - is dicing worth the extra effort?)
What would be appropriate cuts of beef for this? Obviously I don't need Chateaubriand.
Chuck? Sirloin? Brisket? Other?
Thanks.
On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 07:22:47 -0700, Taxed and Spent wrote:

Season and roast a 1.5 thick piece of chuck, then shred it.
-sw

That would definitely not make a Cornish Pasty!
On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 20:46:39 -0300, snipped-for-privacy@fl.it wrote:

Which is good, because English food sucks! Call them empanadas instead!
You bring up a good point, though. English cuisine probably sucks because they're so stuffy and strict. Everything has to be so fucking "proper".
-sw

It's Cornish, not English.
On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 20:55:08 -0300, snipped-for-privacy@fl.it wrote:

See? There they go again. Trying to be so uptight and stuffy. You want to pick nits? Cornwall is ultimately under the control of England.
But don't get me wrong, all British cuisine sucks no matter how you want to split it along cultural or political boundaries.
-sw

It is the Duchy of Cornwall and as such under Prince Charles control.

I will admit it used to, back in the 50's, but that isn't so these days. I don't believe US cooking was up to much then either, having spent the summer of 1956 in the Carmel Valley.
snipped-for-privacy@fl.it wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Actually the history of cooking has some interesting twists.
In Queen Elizabeth I's time, English cooking cuisine was top of the world and far more respected than French. Spanish cooking at one time was even a light in the dark and for sure, Italian was for a bit.
America, so much a melting pot, has never had a particular overall flair but has internal cuisines well known around the planet. Cajun is so blended that's its really us now.

Not so, `cajun`is the slang for Acadian and they come from France, via NS in Canada.
snipped-for-privacy@fl.it wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Whatever you wish to believe is fine with me but Cajun/Creole is a mix of France, Africa, American Indian and many other drifts that are now uniquely their own.
Cajun cooking is not French nor can their wonderful foods due to blending of cultures, be attributed to France.

I didn`t attribute it to France dimwit.
snipped-for-privacy@fl.it wrote in rec.food.cooking:

No, you were stupid enough to confuse French from Canada into the situation. You are clueless on Cajun and Creole cookery.

No, once again! I am not confusing anything. 'French from Canada' are not Acadians and they would be bloody mad that you confused them, I know that because I have some good Acadian friends! I suggest you google Acadian and then you might just get the connection ignoramus!
snipped-for-privacy@fl.it wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Lets try this again, I'M NOT THE ONE who even used the term Arcadians. You trimmed off that it was another. You can tell though from the >>> marks that it was not me. The above was to the other person who insisted that Cajuns were Arcadians.
My only comment was that Cajun and Creole are pretty much us now, though influenced by other quisines, both are very much a melting pot type of cookery and they have, over time belended together in some ways as to form a unique cookery of a region.

For a start, don't know who Arcadians are - just google Acadians and then you can follow through why I made the remark I did about 'cajun' food !! You'd be in quite a bit of trouble here with Acadians if you didn't get the link between them and 'cajuns'
snipped-for-privacy@fl.it says...

Staying out of this discussion, I still think we need to distinguish between Arcadians and Acadians. Other than that, this is all I know about Acadians:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fugain+acadiens

I love Arcadian music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbh1ep36vjY

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 20:53:27 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Have I mentioned that I hate new carpet?
-sw

So do I, or rather the lack of it and having to endure eight stitches in my foot until I get them taken out next Friday.
On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 07:24:31 -0300, snipped-for-privacy@fl.it wrote:

Unless there some sign of infection, save yourself the co-pay and take the stitches out yourself.
-sw