maypops?

I have some weird looking things growing along my trails. I think they may be maypops, but I thought maypop vines had passion flowers on them before the fruit appears. Also, one looks like a big tree rather than a vine. The fruit is about the size of a lime (or a little smaller), and is very soft (if you squeeze it, it pops open, revealing white fleshy pulp). Do I have maypops, or something else? I live in East Texas.
Thanks! Angie
You may be seeing 'mayapples', Podophyllum peltatum. See http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/botany/mayhist.html
Dave

Thanks for the link. I don't think that's what it is, because the leaves look different, and there was never any flower on these. I went out and took several pictures of it, so here are the links to them: <P> <P>
http://www.deadzoom.com/member/junkyardcat/maypop2.jpg
http://www.deadzoom.com/member/junkyardcat/maypop3.jpg
http://www.deadzoom.com/member/junkyardcat/maypop4.jpg
http://www.deadzoom.com/member/junkyardcat/maypopcluster.jpg
http://www.deadzoom.com/member/junkyardcat/maypopleaf.jpg
http://www.deadzoom.com/member/junkyardcat/maypopleafclose.jpg
Thanks for any help:) Angie

junkyardcat wrote:

Those look like oak leaves, so the "fruits" are probably galls where an insect stung the oak leaf and laid an egg. If you cut one open, is there a little worm in the middle?
-Bob
I opened one up, and no worm or anything that resembles larva. It's white fuzzy stuff that spreads out kind of spikey like.....and it smells like apples:) I looked up some pictures of gall, and I don't think it's that either:(
Thanks!
Angie

Those look like oak galls! Those leaves look like oak leaves. Wasps lay eggs in the young stems or leaves and they form these galls. I'm sure if I'm wrong I'll be thoroughly trounced <G> but they don't look like anything else to me.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

I say they're FIGS and to find out for sure, just pop one in your mouth & chew it up!
-paghat the ratgirl
Looks to me as if it is some form of Oak with oak galls
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries